SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Issue with Recognizing Taskbar icons

Hi,

My Application displays the icons in the Taskbar(like MSN Messanger Service,Yahoo Messanger Service,Volume controls being displayed at the right most of Taskbar).We are supporting our application on all OPerating Systems.On Win2k it is recognizing all the icons being displayed on the Taskbar but on WinNT and Win98 it is not being recognized.Any idea to overcome the issue on WinNT and Win98.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Srini

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Issue with Recognizing Taskbar icons

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Srinivas Reddy Yeruva:
    Hi,

My Application displays the icons in the Taskbar(like MSN Messanger Service,Yahoo Messanger Service,Volume controls being displayed at the right most of Taskbar).We are supporting our application on all OPerating Systems.On Win2k it is recognizing all the icons being displayed on the Taskbar but on WinNT and Win98 it is not being recognized.Any idea to overcome the issue on WinNT and Win98.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Srini

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I developed a work around for this problem by using the NT Task manager to check for the icons.

MikeF

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the Workaround suggested.The Workaround really helps to some extent but I also need to test the 'tooltip' being displayed on the object at the Taskbar..Basing on the option selected in our application my object tooltip gets changed very oftenly and we need to test this tooltip also basically.

Srini
    ------------------

[This message has been edited by Srinis (edited 10-03-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In working with other applications (Microsoft) where SilkTest did not see objects, I basically developed a template that sits over the object to be divided and then then created a window declaration that the tag for each object was the location (Client).

Example:
    CustomWin ToolBar
    tag "#1"
    Control Volume
    tag "(19. 16)"
    Control Norton
    tag "(24, 16)"
    Control WebServer
    tag "(29, 16)"

None of the control objects appeared when window declarations were captured, but the ToolBar did. All you are doing is laying a template over the object and then referencing from the object.

A couple of drawbacks to this style of programming:
    You will not be able to use the record action because SilkTest will still not "see" the objects, instead you must code the objects by hand.
    If you use this script on another machine you will need to set the resolution the same as the machine you recorded the original objects with, and it will be easier if the screen size was the same. (GetRegistryValue, SetRegistryValue)

I have done this in both SilkTEst 5.3 and 5.5 on a Window NT machine.

Hope this helps

MikeF

------------------