SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

e-mail application testing reccomendations

I am considering automating a Windows e-mail application .

This will involve :

verifying e-mail content was sent and received correctly, using Outlook and Web based e-mail clients

various e-mail formats ; plain text, rtf, and and html. verifying font size, color, and attributes are correctly retained.

examining internet headers, verifying proper encoding, etc

Does anyone have a particular strategy or recommendation (specialized test tool ) to best go about tackling this type of automation task ?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: e-mail application testing reccomendations

I worked on verifying email reception/handling for a customer service workflow package.

Basically I coded a CASE tool using 4Test. Not the best language for this, but the other team members didn't know C/C++.

What I did was lay out a data structure representing the key components of an email.

Then basically set up a looping function that iterated throught the necessary parameters constructing several thousand email functions and testcases (send email/check reception type thing).

So the CASE tool used fileopen/close/printline etc... to construct my test scripts and include files.

The CASE tool allowed me to add/subtract variables and genenerate testcases without having to go through the 100K+ testcases and change things.

I built a CASE tool because of the grammar of the email. It seemed the best way to have extensive converage of all possible emails since there was a finite number due to the grammar. The only thing that could really change was the body of email. And it tracked the parameters, not me.

You have to develop the algorithm as it pertains to your application.

Your application seems to be a standard test for an email application. You might surf the net for the email standards web pages and see if IEEE has put anything out there in regards to standardised tests.