SPONSORS:

User Tag List

TAG CHANGE WHEN NEW ITEM ARE ADDED IN AUT

I am in the process of automating the smoke test and I have noticed that if new menus are introduced in the application the tags of menu's change and hence the test fails. How should I go about solving his problem?

One more thing sometimes silk recognizes the text on the menus and other times the menus in the declaration look like menu1 menu2 etc. Is this a know problem or does it have to do with AUT

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: TAG CHANGE WHEN NEW ITEM ARE ADDED IN AUT

You're right! It depends on what your AUT was written in. If it's written in Delphi, welcome to the wonderful world of "work-around finders". If your menu items have icons in front of the menu item names, you'll have problems. If captions for your menu items are not seen by SilkTest (depending on your AUT) and SilkTest only records the indexes, sure the tags are going to change when the new items are inserted before or in between the old menu items. In short, if menuitem1 thru menuitem5 are still the same first 5 items and menuitems 6 and 7 were added, you won't need to change the tags for menuitems 1-5 and you'll just add declaration for items 6 and 7.

------------------

the ui of application is developed using c++!

Sometimes even if there is no addition in the menus tags gets changed, has anyone seen this? How to get around this problem as the smoke test process is supposed to be automatic and unattended.

------------------

[This message has been edited by jbarlinge (edited 10-24-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What do you use for tags?
    (Caption, index, window id)
    Perhaps, maybe you can share/paste part of your window declaration that shows your menus and menu items.
    Your menu items are just plain text or do they have bitmaps/icons like the ones you see in MS Word or MS Excel?

What version of SilkTest are you using?
    What OS are you using?

------------------

I use following settings in record options

Default Multitag:
    CAPTION
    WINDOWID

window declaration Identifier:
    USE THE CAPTION

Record Multiple tags:
    Checked

I do have Icons on menus.

Some of the menus gets added depending up on which type of document is open in the application. My experience is when one type of document is open in that state if I record window then the captions become menu1 menu2 instead of the caption of the menu (eg.new open etc). and If I close that document then the caption is pickedup correctly. but then some of the menus are not seen as they are not needed when there is no document open.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

So your menu items have those pictures/bitmaps in front... Until now, I still don't see Microsoft's point of introducing this feature (as if Stevie Wonder would be able to tell the picture of a "pair of scissor" is really for cutting text and not a link to a barber shop site). Don't you think it would have been much better if, instead of these bitmaps, a voice is heard instead reading to you what each menu item name and short description is? You may want to try (as I did before) to ask your developer(s) to give you a version where those bitmaps are turned off and you'll be amazed what a difference it makes! SilkTest will have no problem recognizing all of your menu items. I also noticed a sample in one of your topics where your tag looks like "$12345", for example, meaning you are using the Window ID. From experience, window id shown in this form will keep changing every time your AUT gets recompiled to produce a new version. If you can't reliably use or get captions for your tags, make use of the multitag statement and also, it does not hurt to experiment with the use of the indexes as tags (Who cares if the "use of indexes as tags" is not highly recommended. As long as it works and gets the job done, when the more reliable "use of caption or window id" is not available, use them.). You may have to record your window declarations more than once. If your window declaration only showed 2 menu items the first time you recorded it, and more items show up after loading a document or performing other functions, you'll have to re-record in order to get these new items. Cut and Paste or simply add them to your first declaration.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Gilbert (edited 10-02-2001).]