User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: develope script with automation tools

Julie,

You were asked these questions during an interview.
    Clearly, they wanted to find out if you knew much about Silk or WinRunner.
    Do you know anything about these tools?

Even if we answered your questions, you still wouldn't know any more about Silk or WinRunner.

------------------
    - Joe (strazzerj@aol.com)

[This message has been edited by jstrazzere (edited 09-27-2001).]
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Julie,

You must have told your interviewer that you know those automation tools. I assume that you are not familiar with them since you are asking the questions here at this forum.
    My advice, in case you go for another QA position interview and the same questions are ask, is to be honest and just clearly mentioned that you are very willing to learn those tools (point out your strengths to convince them that you can learn those tools in a very short time) and maybe you just have not had the chance to use them yet or maybe you just happen to have very little experience with them.
    Even if you know how to answer those questions well, you are still going to be in trouble once they offer you the job and ask you to start test automation right away.
    For a positive note (to prepare for your next interview):
    If you have access to these automation tools, now is the time to practice or play with them more since you now have an idea on what questions they ask during interview.
    Good luck!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Gilbert (edited 09-27-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

develope script with automation tools

Hi,
    I have been interviewed during apply QA position. The following questions were related to how do you develope script base on functional requirement:

who puts down that you have used Silk or WinRunner is:
    (1) explain what a frame file or gui Map is

(2) write me a function for logging into yahoo mail where the two parameters are login and password

(3) write me a for loop where you are searching for an element and break out when you find it.

Can you give me explanation and some sample of scripts base on these question above, please.

Thanks a lot,
    julie

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's ok to exagerate a little about what you've done when it's something you know you can do but haven't had the opportunity to do it, but not about something you haven't got a clue about!

I recently interviewed someone who had supposedly got 2 years experience of Winrunner (scripting) and had a greater experience of VB and C programming.

So, with this in mind, I gave him a sample script from SilkTest. I had a very simple login function, a for loop and a while loop... and he couldn't explain any of them or their purpose.

I think all this guy had done was read the Winrunner manuals cover to cover, because he was coming out with terms expressed exactly how they are in the manuals.

We eventually took on someone who was less skilled than we wanted and only a beginner of automation... but he was genuine!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Beeblemaster (edited 09-28-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is why companies are starting to use consultants to help them interview candidates. You can fool the fans, but not the players.

------------------
    James Soderborg
    http://www.ameliortech.com
    jamesso@ameliortech.com