SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cross browser support

I am evaluating SilkTest and have some difficulties with replaying a script that was recorded on IE on Netscape

Does anyone have an idea why this is happening?

Re: Cross browser support

We got similar problems in the past, and yet my company bough SilkTest for it's "so-called" cross-browser feature...
    This was a major issue for us and since then we switched to WinRunner from Mercury.
    I can tell you that WinRunner has real cross-browser capabilities and it works for us now...
    I hope it helps...

Tedd

AJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess Ted does not want to register so we don't find out who he works for...

What kind of problems are you getting?

Can you be more specific...

I've had success in getting scripts to work on both, It may be how you're setting your framework, and please don't tell me you're just doing record/playback!?

------------------
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recorded a test with IE 4.0 and it replays properly. When I try replaying this on Netscape 4.06 It start complaining.

As mentioned, I am new to SilkTest...

AJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is true in many cases, you may have to add some code to guard for changes between browsers,

Can you also post some of the complaints that you see?

When you record scripts, you really should be recording the frame 1st, that is where the object recognition map is kept. You can modify the window declaration if an object is not recognized the same in the IE vs NS. But usually they are the same.

Second, you cannot record browser actions, Like SaveAs or something like that, in IE and expect it to playback in NS. You have to put browser dependant code for that type of situation.

Since you are new, I would recommend you do this the right way. Follow the manual's help and/or take some training classes to get better at script development. This will allow you to understand how to generate scripts successfully, not (give up and buy another tool, then have other problems with the other tool and start wondering which one you should have bought to start with)

Hope that helps...

------------------
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.

I guess that AJ was assuming that I was working for Mercury... Well, that's a good try but it's not the case...
    I'm just working for a consulting company.
    AJ just explained into details the same problems that we faced with SilkTest : we had to add some code (and not just a few lines...) in order to take care of cross-browser replay. Who are we kidding in this forum ??
    Last, as regards switching to another tool, what is AJ so afraid of ? That Steve might realize that WinRunner is real superior for cross-browser portabilty ?
    Well, Steve, you just have to get an evaluation copy of WinRunner to check it by yourself.

Tedd

AJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No Tedd, I was just wishing you'd register that's all! I'm the admin for these forums and I'd like to see more registered users (especially Mercury ones) use them!

And about getting an eval copy of WinRunner. hmmm Good luck... Mercury will never send you an eval copy, they will bring some partner (like Tedd) to install the product on your system, then show it to you, after getting a verbal promise you'd buy it if it worked for your needs which they will prove when they install it!!!

You can tell I've tried this before

Tedd nothing against Mercury, I'm also a partner, but I sometimes get frustrated with them that's all!

------------------
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AJ

I searched Segue web site looking for a partner called "BetaSoft" and found both BetaSoft name as well as an article written by AJ (CEO of BetaSoft).

I searched Mercury web site looking for a partner called "BetaSoft" but did not find anything ..

So ... is there a business reason for recommending Segue ???