SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Passing Arguments

Does anybody know a way to pass an argument which will ask the user running the test to enter the value the user would like to us for the argument? It would be nice if it would proc a window that would say "Enter the value for Argument 1" and maybe even give choices. Any help is appreciated...Thanks.

I know that you can put the value in on the Run TIme options window or when you are runnig a specific testcase.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Passing Arguments

I dont know whether there is a way to accept input from the user while the script is running. I would like to know along with if if there is a way.

But there are means of passing arguements. You can write data driven testcases with your arguments in an external text file or from a database or even a excel file.

You can also create a suite file wherein you can pass args along with the test script name. Silk help has information on how to create a test suite and how to pass arguments.

Trust this helps!!

Srikanth

------------------
    Habit 1 - "Be Proactive"
    "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People" by Stephen R. Covey

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you search these links there is a code attachment that will allow you to create a html page with SilkTest, display it and get information back from it. If you cannot locate it, let me know and I'll upload a copy.

I have also been using Access to start SilkTest. I put fields on the Access form that need to be filled in and it creates the command line to launch the SilkTest script and pass the arguements required. If interested I could upload an example of that also.

MikeF

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

use an external program like vb or a web based form. After the form or vb dialog closes you grab the information submitted by the user.

Using an web form is far easier. Make those annoying add popup kind of stuff would be nice.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i like the idea of a data-driven testcase where i could have my arguments in a text file that would be processed.

Could you send some examples?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi there,

To begin with, learn more about the following functions. You will find many examples in SilkTest Help itself!!
    1) Fileopen()
    2) While
    3) FileReadLine()
    3a) FileWriteLine()
    4) do..except
    5) Verify()
    6) logerror

I use all the above functions when I code for data driven tests. If you still have problems, post a message again!!

What I am not sure (and never tried till now) is to popup a window to the user with a message. Inputs please anybody??

Good Luck.

Srikanth

------------------
    Habit 1 - "Be Proactive"
    "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People" by Stephen R. Covey

[This message has been edited by Srikanth (edited 09-27-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you don't have access to or aren't familiar with VB you can try using Agent.DisplayMessage () and use that messagebox to prompt the user to write something to a file for the script to read.

Using the VB option is smoother, but not everyone has access to it.

------------------
    James Soderborg
    http://www.ameliortech.com
    jamesso@ameliortech.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've done what GodKnows recommends, built a small VB form, which accepts input, then writes it to the disk for Silk to read.

Hope this helps.

------------------
    John W Green
    jwgreen@automationexpertise.com
    http://www.automationexpertise.com