SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SilkTest 5.5 (DOM) - Multiple Browser Windows

I've seen a number of things out here about how to deal with multiple browser windows, but nothing since 5.5 w/DOM came out.

Here is my problem....

Web app written using Java. There are links within the app that can be clicked and in the result is a new browser window. This browser window opens the document clicked into view and has the options of closing (simply closes the window) or maximizing (opens the window into the existing window in the main web app).

When I try to get window declarations for this "sub" window, SilkTest basically freezes and causes my web app to stop responding. I can usually get the Window Declarations dialog to appear, but it never populates (I've even tried leaving it for an hour just because I've noticed it can be slow).

This is my first stab as testing a web app that was created in java - are there any considerations I need to be aware of with the SilkTest setup?

Thanks for any help that can be provided.

Dana

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: SilkTest 5.5 (DOM) - Multiple Browser Windows

I have a strange, but effective workaround for problem web pages.

After the new page appears, make the following 4-test calls. You can throw away the return values.

Desktop.GetChildren ()
    Browser.GetChildren ()
    BrowserPage.GetChildren ()

Hope this helps.

------------------
    John W Green
    jwgreen@automationexpertise.com
    http://www.automationexpertise.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've seen 2 similar instances that may be causing this. One was fixed with HotFix2 of ST5.5 when using the DOM extension. It had to do with SilkTest conflicting with a lot of JavaScript on a page.

There is another similar issue that is a problem where the browser windows that are being launched may be in separate threads that the original browser window, and the new windows are modal. In this case SilkTest's extension doesn't get loaded to look at the new thread. The symptoms can be either halting the recorder window or just having the recorder window display CustomWin's for the contents like you get when you don't use any extensions and look at a browser.

Make sure you have ALL of the hotfixes loaded.

------------------
    James Soderborg
    http://www.ameliortech.com
    jamesso@ameliortech.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John and James, thank you.

John - I haven't had a chance yet to try your suggestions.

James - I do have hotfix 3 installed - bummer. The browser windows I'm seeing are definitely not modal. When you say all of the hotfixes, do I really have to install 1 and 2 (aren't they included in 3)?

Thanks!
    Dana

(I'll post again after I'm able to try John's suggestion).

------------------

[This message has been edited by DanaK (edited 09-26-2001).]