SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

object properties, \"variable not set\" error

I have a class that has several properties, some strings and some lists of strings. If I refer the class object's list of string at a global scope, I am fine. But if I refer the class object's string at global scope, I get the error "variable not set". In both cases the properties are set in the class definition.

I don't know how to work around this. Any ideas? Any idea why Silk is treating list of string different than string?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: object properties, \"variable not set\" error

Brian,
    Although your message states that it both works fine at the global level and breaks at the global level, do you mean something like this:

In the above, I have problems if I try to refer to MyFoo.sFoo at a global level (i.e.- STRING gsGlobal = MyFoo.sFoo) and get a "Variable has not been set." However, I can have "LIST OF STRING lsGlobal = MyFoo.lsFoo" defined without getting that error. However, when running a main function that prints lsGlobal, nothing is printed, so it's essentially unset but without the error.

However, if I put the following into my main function, the global variable is set:

I even tried the following with getting the same error on trying to set the string value:

I also made SetVars a method of the fooClass and called it that way with the same error being generated.

Seems to me like you found a defect.

- Dave

------------------
    Amelior Technology
    dreed@ameliortech.com
    WaltzingRhino.com
    A concerned Borland customer, a fly in the ointment, a wrench in the works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You've done an excellant job of detailing the problem I was trying to describe. It's very strang. It appears the linker just does not try to evaluate the list but it does for the string. Because, as you pointed out the list is really unset also.

Truth is, you could certainly argue that it's kind of non-sensical to try to declare a global in terms of a object property.

I want to anyhow

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BrianCarroll:

Truth is, you could certainly argue that it's kind of non-sensical to try to declare a global in terms of a object property.

I want to anyhow

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well....waaaaah.

Dunno what to tell you. You could probably figure out some workaround ala a main function or something. I'd still log it with Segue as a defect as it seems to be...well...psychotic.

- Dave

------------------
    Amelior Technology
    dreed@ameliortech.com
    WaltzingRhino.com
    A concerned Borland customer, a fly in the ointment, a wrench in the works.