SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SilkTest 5.5 DOM vs. VO

We have several projects that have a substantial amount of automated tests written in SilkTest 5.0.3.1 using VO and we are currently still running in that environment. Recently we did attempt to move one small project and another big project to SilkTest 5.5 using DOM.

Notice I said attempt. I realize going to 5.5 w/DOM that we pretty much have to start over with window declarations etc. In recording declarations for several of our most commonly used windows the recorder either freezes, causes a application error in the agent, or takes several minutes to populate. We have opened a call with Segue and they are looking into it (and I have installed hotfix3 which is supposed to address recorder issues with browser pages that have multiple scrolling windows).

It seems like this version is a step backward as far as what I'm trying to do.

Can anyone tell me what the real benefits of going to DOM over VO? Do you think Segue will stop supporting VO at some point? That's my biggest concern if we don't switch to DOM.....

Thanks much,
    Dana

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: SilkTest 5.5 DOM vs. VO

The advantages to DOM over VO is that SilkTest is asking the browser where things are in the browser and what objects there are in the browser rather than trying to figure it out on it's own. The big gain with this is more consistency in recognizing objects.

Another advantage is speed. Because the DOM extension does not need to scroll that page around before knowing what is on the page, there can be some speed improvements on playback.

As far as the freezing/crashing that you are seeing with the recorder goes.....I have seen similar behaviour on some pages and hotfixes 1 & 2 for SilkTest 5.5 solved these problems for me.

You are right in that there are some differences in the window declarations which could make the conversion of VO scripts/frame files seem like a daunting task. It is possible though to create a frame file that can mimick the identifier names required of the old scripts, while taking advantage of DOM recognition. This route is definately some work, but less than re-creating everything.

------------------
    James Soderborg
    [url=http://www.ameliortech.com[/url]
    jamesso@ameliortech.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: SilkTest 5.5 DOM vs. VO

James, Thanks for the reply!

------------------