SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Multiple inc files.

I have inherited a project to finish scripting our product from a former employee. He has an extensive and efficient inc created for a large section of our app. A few weeks ago I began learning Silk Test in order "to pick up where he left off" (bearing in mind he had over a years experience and a training course!). I created my own inc file and started deveolping tset cases for a specific are within the product, it took me a few days, but thankfully with some help I managed to get it going, I have now successfully completed 24 secure test scripts relating to that area. Basically, what I wan tto do is combine all the testcases into one .t and use both the .inc files as I could bare to start over. I have done too much work already. Can I use both inc files and using the Use \\dir command or is it possible to just copy and past the declarations into one inc file.
    Appreciate the help....

------------------
    ================
    Thanks,
    Tomás.

Quis Custodiet ipsos custodes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Multiple inc files.

You can definitely combine the contents of your .inc files into one larger .inc file, and paste all your testcases into one .t file if you want to.
    As far as I can tell, silktest doesn't really care where stuff (window declarations, functions, testcases, etc.) is declared, as long as you have the Use statements to tell it where to find what it needs.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for that, that's what I was hoping for...

Happy Dayz...

------------------
    ================
    Thanks,
    Tomás.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can combine the two .inc files, but it might be better to just use a use statement to refer to both from one .t file. This way you can keep what he developed and what you developed apart.

MikeF

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have combined them both now however, I am now getting a partner.exe error and silik 5.0.3 crashs ! No other programs running....
    Opened new thread about this...I dunno now, I hav changed over and acll the two separate inc file from within one .t file now using the use ("file.inc") function.
    Is this funcionally correct?

------------------
    ================
    Thanks,
    Tomás.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes use the "use d:\file.inc" functionality to do this.

MikeF

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're better off using Runtime Options to refer to the main .inc file, then you can 'use "otherfile.inc"' from your main", inc file. This is better than from a .t file, since the include files will always be "compiled" when referenced from Runtime Options. If you add inc files from scripts, you have to remember to compile the script to get the latest declarations, etc.

Hope this helps

------------------
    John W Green
    jwgreen@automationexpertise.com
    http://www.automationexpertise.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't want to disagree with our moderator, but I have found that the fewer changes I make in the options by hard coding the data, the better off I am. I have found that any way I can set options from within my script or .inc files is easier because you do not have to remember to change them when you run or develop another script, when you move the script to a new machine, you do not not to change the settings as they are set in the script.

Just a differnet way of looking at things.

MikeF

------------------