SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Compiler constant weirdness

U need to have a valid method or property set to any object.

------------------
    Sree
    Sree

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Compiler constant weirdness

I am using a compiler constant (_CON) in my code and the following thing happens in 5.03 and 5.5 when _CON is set to FALSE
    if (_CON){
    MainToolBar.Bogus.Click(); //Compiles
    MainToolBar.Bogus(); //Does not compile
    }
    Anyone know why the second line causes Silk to trip up. Why is Silk even trying to compile this code, it is supposed to skip it when _CON == FALSE (at least that's my understanding).

Thanks.

------------------
    Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roberto,
    SilkTest will still try to compile the code. It just won't ever run the code with the constant set to FALSE.

- Dave

------------------
    Amelior Technology
    dreed@ameliortech.com
    WaltzingRhino.com
    A concerned Borland customer, a fly in the ointment, a wrench in the works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is not completely true. Silk does some level of compiling, but not a full compile, otherwise both sample lines above would fail. To be sure, I changed the compiler constant to a constant and Silk came up with a lot of compile errors.

Why do I need a valid method for every object, especially if the object itself is not valid?

------------------
    Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am completely lost here... I didn't even know that there's compiler constants in Silk. Even the online help doesn't have anything about that thing.

The only closest thing that I know of that would be evaluated at compile time are GUI specifiers (i.e. explorer, netscape, msw)

And as you were saying, "...I changed the compiler constant to a constant..." isn't it a constant already???

Would somebody please clear things here... It really is a cool thing if I could use compiler constants in Silk aside from the GUI specifiers that I know.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by roberto:
    This is not completely true. Silk does some level of compiling, but not a full compile, otherwise both sample lines above would fail. To be sure, I changed the compiler constant to a constant and Silk came up with a lot of compile errors.

Why do I need a valid method for every object, especially if the object itself is not valid?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
    kalabog73@hotmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmmm... ok, just found what you are talking about here. I didn't even pay attention to that thing before. Never used this before but it looks like it will be helpful.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kalabog:
    I am completely lost here... I didn't even know that there's compiler constants in Silk. Even the online help doesn't have anything about that thing.

The only closest thing that I know of that would be evaluated at compile time are GUI specifiers (i.e. explorer, netscape, msw)

And as you were saying, "...I changed the compiler constant to a constant..." isn't it a constant already???

Would somebody please clear things here... It really is a cool thing if I could use compiler constants in Silk aside from the GUI specifiers that I know.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
    kalabog73@hotmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you use _con the wrong way. It's probably not used like this since it tries to use it as normal variable.

It's certainly not like #ifndef - #endif kind of stuff as in c. So you must be missing something.

Anyhow what's this _CON used for anyway.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its not completely the same as using a normal constant. Referencing undefined objects with an anywin method will not compile using normal booleans but will using compiler constants. (See my original message.)

The idea for using them is to be able to use one script file for three similar (but not the same) applications. In the areas they are different, use comp. constants in the class and method definitions so that the same methods can be called from the scripts. I was hoping they may be #IFDEF, but obviously not. But these constants are not normal constants either. Somewhere in between. Too bad because they could be used in very elegant ways.

------------------
    Robert
    Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you trying to branch your code so it will work differently with dffirent _con value using minimum code???

If so that can be done using other ways.
    For example functions, global values....

------------------