SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can SilkTest or Winrunner Help Me?

I need to standardize my company's desktop computing environment and want to develop stable Win95 and Win98 images (PCs and Laptops). Trouble is, there are about 50 applications used throughout the company.

Can WinRunner or SilkTest help me in developing a stable OS build or is there some other utility or program that's better suited for my needs?

Sure appreciate any help you folks can provide.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Can SilkTest or Winrunner Help Me?

Hi,
    If I have understood your query right then..
    There is a utility called as Norton Ghost which does what you are asking for.
    its from Symantec.

hope this helps

Rahul

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not correctly posing my question (apologies). Let me try again;

I'm trying to develop a 'standard' desktop OS build that must allow approx. 40-50 applications to happily run on the OS.
    In the past, we've done this by installing the base OS (Win95, 98, NT, or 2K) and any drivers necessary (modem, NIC, Soundcard, etc.). Then each application would be installed (MS Office, Photoshop, Peoplesoft apps., in-house client-server apps, etc.).

Now, the only testing that was conducted was to launch each application and check for basic functionality. As long as the application didn't unexpectedly crash (or crash the OS) due to .dll conflicts or such, and could remain functioning while other applications were launched and used, then the entire 'build' was deemed successful and was imaged (usually, using Symantec's Ghost product) to allow for easy production of subsequent desktop or laptop installations.

Trouble is, whenever a problem with any particular application is encountered, there really isn't a way to know what caused it to crash or hang the OS; dll conflict? Memory allocation error? Who knows? Lengthy vendor website research ensues; is a patch needed? Is there a known bug when running the application on NT, service pack 2? Maybe the app. doesn't like running alongside mainframe host sessions?

What I'm looking for is a testing software that can automatically launch applications and record OS and application activity down to memory allocation, system file usage (.dll's), etc. I'm thinking this information can be used to determine why a particular software package isn't functioning properly with the OS, or while running concurrently with other applications.

Boy, it sounds like I'm asking for the Holy Grail, eh?

Again, thanks for any suggestions.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are not asking for the holy grail but maybe you are asking in the wrong site. There are development tools I think one was called dll walker. That allows you call an application and it traces what dll is called, etc and then you can pin-point where crashes occur. Also some tools like purify from Rational may help for memory problems. But it is better to look at some development sites for greater details.

I hope I read you correctly

------------------
    The Test Force is strong in this one

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You understand what I'm looking for. Thanks for pointing me in another direction.

Regards,

B0b

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try tracepoint.

------------------
    Sree