User Tag List

Thread: shared memory?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

shared memory?

Wondering what's the best way to save some global variables from testcase to testcase. One option is to write to a file. But I'm wondering if it's possible to write an app that would share memory so that I could access it via Silk. if for no other reason, just for fun.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: shared memory?

I think Ini file can be helpfull in achieving this. You can then share these variables as and when you like.... just for fun !

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: shared memory?

for fun??!!

Your Friday nights I guess...Here goes.

First off, you can save global variables to be passed from testcase to testcase. If one testcase sets a global variable (a variable defined outside of the testcase), then the value will still be there what the next testcase accesses it.

In case you meant sharing it from test run to test run after the global variable values are lost in SilkTest, you can save them to files, a database, or you could create an application that you could send values to and have them called up again as you need them. For instance you could create an app that has a SendMessage API so that you could have ST send a value to it and store it. You could have another SendMessage flag retrieve that stored value. Since that is what a database does though, I'd just use that instead of trying to write your own. But if you want to try it, it would be a good programming lesson.

------------------
    James Soderborg
    http://www.ameliortech.com
    jamesso@ameliortech.com