SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recording Frames in Browsers

I need to record a webpage that is in a frame. When I enter text and click on a button in the frame it will bring up one of two pages within the same frame.

How do I capture this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Recording Frames in Browsers

You can try to record the declarations twice for that page (If i undertood u correct, the tag is still the same, but diferent content)
    So your customized declaration may solve your problem...
    You can use One "key" fields of each frame to identify each frame is loaded.. like...

if class.fieldframe1.Exists ()
    do your stuff using the fields from declaration 1

and so on.....

A better solution would be create 2 winclasses with the specifics fields from each frame.. These 2 winclasses will inherit from another class with the commom fields of those 2 frames. (it there are any)

Hope it can help...

Mauro Almeida

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mauro Almeida,

Thanks for your response.
    Brenton posted this issue for me.

Your suggestion is the logical answer except that it is not possible in my case. There is a serious limitation with SilkTest with its ability to Identify the frame within a webpage that does not change its name.

Doing two identically named windows declarations will cause a error on compile.

It all revolves around the browserchild class from which you can not find out its name (see on line help)
    The two solutions I have come up with so far are:
    1. VerifyProperty Method
    2. Screen Scraping ( one I went with )
    I have used many test tools over ther years and I have never seen such a fundamental poor quality such as this.
    Other test tools such as SQA allow you to create a verify process and will automatically generate the verification code for any object within a window. With Silktest I now have a test script with similar complexity to the software I am testing.
    Robert Tehve
    Tester

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, I have problems with Silk like everyone else, but as far as it being a poorly designed test tool I think your wrong. I think the problem your having involves a fundemental misunderstanding of the structure of an include file. The problem your having can usually be solved by:

1 Making sure that you have the extention options set right for the browser under test. Play around with them until you see the web pages URL being displayed in the Record Window Declerations recorder for the Window ID tag.

2 If the captions for the frames are the same, use the unique Window ID tag to identify the BrowserChild (make sure to wildcard the parts of it that will change when the app is ported from server to server) or declare all the common items and all the unique items for the two frames within the same browser child. Make sure to remove redundant Text based tages for the two frames.

Note - There is a bug in Silk 5.01 which will make the Window ID tag useless IE so you will have to use 5.0 for now. The bug has been reported to Segue and hopefully they will have a work around or patch soon.

Good Luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure at what you are getting at with the include file...really don't care.

The URL is appearing in the Windows Declartion and yes my extensions have been set up correctly.

Your Point 2 was a good Idea except checking the application with Silktest shows that the Window Id for these frames is always the same.

As far as me thinking that silktest is a poorly designed test tool, I am right I do think it is a poorly designed tool. Long live free thinking.

Thanks for the response any way.

I have solved the problem and spent twice as long as I should have.

I did the same execise in SQA in 5 Minutes

[This message has been edited by Robert Tehve (edited 10-28-1999).]
    Robert Tehve
    Tester