User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4Test Reference manual no longer free ?

Hi all:
    I will be training some new SilkTesters soon, so I called Segue to get a couple of sets of manuals under our maintenance agreement. In the past, I got a "boxed set" with the User's Guide, 4Test Reference manual and a couple of other little books with every licence.

Now, Segue says that the User's Guides are free, but the Reference manuals are $100 each. This seems really cheesy considering the fact that we just spent several thousand dollars renewing our maintenance agreement.

To me, the Reference manual is 5 times more useful than the User's Guide. Browsing this book taught me LOTs of new tricks that I would not have learned anywhere else.

Anyone know what's going on ? Is Segue just running out of printed manuals ? Will I just have to print out the 700 page PDF file for my trainees ?

------------------
    Rob Kapteyn
    Rob Kapteyn, CSTE
    RobKapteyn@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: 4Test Reference manual no longer free ?

What they told me was that all the information I needed was in the pdf file, and it was easier to get to that way. Also updates would be easier to do. They told me that books were not even available.

MikeF

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a reseller and consulting partner, it's my understanding that with the frequent updates, they'd rather concentrate their efforts in the 4Test Language Reference being in soft-copy only (PDF, perhaps HTML in the future) as it makes updates easier, pulping old ones not an issue any longer, etc.

Personally, I prefer the soft copy as I can print a copy, punch holes in it, and put it in a binder. Then I can add documentation for my own functions, classes, etc. in there where they need to be alphabetically. Just being anal-retentive, I guess.

- Dave

------------------
    Amelior Technology
    dreed@ameliortech.com
    WaltzingRhino.com
    A concerned Borland customer, a fly in the ointment, a wrench in the works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just seems to me that Segue is squeezing their customers in hopes of driving up their pathetic stock price of $1.50 or so.

-rcranbery

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Except for training...Whoever uses the hard copies anyway? The help and the PDF are usually sufficient... can print sections (or the whole thing). From Segue's standpoint it makes sense too.. but I am sure they will send you a hard copy at your request (and a fee )

My reference manuals end up having post-its in all pages the binding gets beat up... soft copy is sooo much easier..

Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If u r trianing your guys just take the print out of testing Windows and Web apps with Silk available in customer download section. each is 100 page pdf file and ggod for training. By the way r u trainig inhouse or public.

------------------
    Sree
    Sree

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soft copy is great for looking up things that have faded from my memory, but I have found that first-time learning works much better with a printed manual.

The size and layout of a book puts things into a perspective that I can't get from a PDF file. When I can flip through the pages, I tend to "accidentally" discover exactly what I wanted to know. I never get that with a PDF file.

Also, I can't (yet) read a PDF while I ride home on the "blue line".

------------------
    Rob Kapteyn
    Rob Kapteyn, CSTE
    RobKapteyn@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't want to say I know this is happening at Segue, but at my last job we tried redirecting clients from having paper summary reports (which we provided free) delivered once a month to an online app in which they could punch in some criteria, retrieve a report, and print it themselves.

The salespeople sold it as a paperless environment, having control over what dates they saw a financial summary for, you name it. Internally we all knew it was because we were getting killed on the cost to print and ship all these reams of paper out.

It makes sense from a financial standpoint. Offloading that expense to the customer means more profit. Unfortunately it alse makes the customer question why they pay the fees that they do.

Just my 2 cents...

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't blame them. Of course it's to save money, it's a business though, that's what business's try to do.

Think about it though, when/if you do some coding in VC++ or other language, do you flip through a language reference or do you browse the MSDN. I guess it just seems a bit passe to use a hardcopy of a language reference in this day and age.

my 2 cents.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another thing I would add to that, Brian, is that when I first got Visual C++ there were about a foot and a half of books included to stuff onto my bookshelf. I couldn't imagine having to do that every release, and keep a couple versions back in case you run into some old code that needs to be understood to be updated.
    I like the electronic documentation - nothing wrong with it as far as usage goes, in my opinion.

------------------