User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Limitation of Silk Test Tool

User kavita (kavita@prabodhan.com.nospam) posted:

Is there any limitation of Silk Test Tool regarding the things that can not be automated with the silk test ?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Kavita

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
    Get VeriSign's FREE GUIDE: "Securing Your Web Site for Business." Learn about using SSL for serious online security. Click Here! http://us.click.yahoo.com/KYe3qC/I56...gFAA/dpFolB/TM

Post message: silktest@yahoogroups.com
    Subscribe: silktest-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
    Unsubscribe: silktest-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
    List owner: silktest-owner@yahoogroups.com
    URL to this page: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/silktest

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Limitation of Silk Test Tool

I have never found anything that I cared to automate with SilkTest that I couldn't. Some things I found worked better by creating a WSH or Perl script and having SilkTest call those.

That said, I don't think SilkTest supports Unix (X Windows) testing anymore. Or Palm OS or Windows CE. Basically, SilkTest won't do GUI testing on anything that is not Win32 based.

Is there a specific application you had in mind to automate?

------------------
    David Genrich
    david@e2Open.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

Segue have a porduct called QA Partner which is used for testing X-Window's based applications.

John.
    John O'Neill.
    Quality Automation Ltd.
    www.quality-automation.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with teh fact that Silk test can not be used to test unix based apps. Biggest problem with Silk Test I found is its difficulty ("not impossible") in working with custom win objects compared to any other testing tools.

------------------
    Sree
    Sree

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before I started programming in 4Test I was a VB programmer. So far 4Test has been able to do everything I was able to do in VB (just not always quite as pretty.)

MikeF

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess your question should be more like what are the bugs/weakness of Silk.

Beside the standard control testings(in app and web testing) Silk is way rigid(and not good). Especially with appelets/java.

For many while using DOM Silk is not able to automate dropdowns(with or without onevent associated to it), because it can crash your browser, or cause page error.

Silk will not be your magic tool, neither it is omnipotent. It's a tool trying to cover too many area but can't do well in any of them

I guess this tool had done nothing impressive for me.

------------------

Also Segue is a traditional company which won't make drastic improvement over its product as long as it can just follow the trend of the market.

One thing I would like to see in Silk is the ability of switching between DOM and VO without crashing(promised years ago). Also dropdown bug fixed. Finally improvement over java appelet, or Active X recognition and comprehensive extention creation. Detailed documentions for their product(you pay them and they should write meaningful manuals; otherwise fire them

I think the biggest drawback with Silk is the documentation. Sometimes you waste so much time trying to find the information. These tech writer sux ****es me off.

[This message has been edited by GodKnows (edited 08-28-2001).]