SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SilkTest 5.5 Interaction with HTML Popup Menus

Using SilkTest 5.5 HF3 -- haven't tried this with any older SilkTest versions ...

I'm also using Automation Expertise's aeweb3.inc to handle most of the page interaction. I'm fine until I get to the following.

The browser page I'm testing contains some code (based on Gary Smith's 1997 Netscape examples) that uses layers to display a popup menu in HTML (see attached .gif). Basically, you click a link, and this "menu" appears with various choices. Note that the menu really exists "all the time" -- that is, if you record the window decls, you see HtmlText items for each menu item.

BUT -- because of the layer technology (I assume) these menus / items appear to Silk to be off-screen, even when visible as a menu.

I've pointed the Record->Window Identifiers at the menu when it's visible, and get:
    "BrowserPage.BrowserChild("reportframe").HtmlText( "Drill")" as the ID. Makes sense to me.

However, when I try to interact with the Drill item (both thru aeweb3.inc and by using the above notation), I get:
    "*** Error: Mouse coordinate (-54,140) is off the screen".

By fudging the Agent Opts, I can also get the "Window ... is not exposed" error. I've tried various combinations of Agent Opts, and can get it to NOT throw an error, but it still fails to interact with the menu item.

Has anyone else worked with something like this? Any solution besides our old nemesis screen coordinates? It's worth noting that the menu is context sensitive, thus it has different entries depending on where you click -- so it ain't as simple as capturing the various item offsets and clicking.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: SilkTest 5.5 Interaction with HTML Popup Menus

I have found when menus are in a layer (DHTML), that there are two things I need to get development to do:

1. <LI>The layer needs to appear when a click even occurs rather than just a mouse over.
      <LI>Add a image (either an actual image or a transparent gif) to each menu item.

With that, I could then click to activate the menu, then click on the image. I found that when the menu links are in layers, SilkTest isn't recognizing the HtmlLinks, which is why the image is required.

Just as a side note, I found that if I ask developers to make those changes, they would be reluctant, especially if they where not positive it would work. So, I would typically make changes to a local copy of the code, verify that it works, then ask development to make the changes, telling them exactly what lines to change and how. I would also show them how it looks with the images. This usually resulted in the fix being with the next build.

------------------
    David Genrich
    david@e2Open.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: SilkTest 5.5 Interaction with HTML Popup Menus

... that did the trick ...

By placing an image "under" the text, and specifying the image tag in the "click()" call, I'm able to select menu items.

Way cool, thanks, David!

Brent

------------------