User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beginning SilkTest

Hello,

I'm new to the testing arena. Our product is web-based and most of the testing is done manually. I really need help with automated testing. I'm currently running SilkTest 5.5 with HF3 on Windows 2000 Professional.

I declared window a and b. When I record and playback, Silktest doesn't know where to go. I used the window identifier but silk recognizes objects that are in window a in b. By not recognizing the objects in every page, silk would go to the wrong page.

I called support (useless) and they told me to defined my declaration with a unique object tag on each and every page. This can be time consuming and doesn't always work right since silk cannot recognize certain objects. Is there a work around for this problem?

One more question, are there benefits in using multi-tags versus single when recording window declarations?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank You

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Beginning SilkTest

One good place to begin with is silk test documentation. Especially the users guide.
    I found it quite useful.

mail me at srikanthu@yahoo.com if you have any problems. I am a beginner too, but can of some help to you.

I also found this forum to be very helpful. Spending some time everyday browsing through the queries others post itself will update your knowledge pretty faster.

Cheers!!
    Srik

------------------

[This message has been edited by Srikanth (edited 08-23-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As for multi-tags, I have found them to be more of an effort than their worth. SilkTest often gets confused and brings up the wrong window object. But I have only tested in an application environment, not on a web site.

------------------
    Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try doing an advanced search on 'unique object tag' in the SilkTest Forum, you will find a lot of info to answer your questions.

If your web pages are not seen as unique, you should talk to your developers and get them to give each page a unique caption. There will always be give & take from both development and testing and you'll have to establish a good relationship with your development team and let them know what your requirements are in order to make SilkTest work with the app & hopefully, easier to use.
    Yes, it is a lot of work to find a unique object tag for all your pages, but no matter what you do, the first time around for each application is going to take a lot longer than if you did it manually. The payoffs are when you can automatically rerun your tests farther down the line.
    good luck

------------------

[This message has been edited by janek (edited 08-27-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I test primarily web sites and have found that I use both multiple and single tags depending on the environment I am working in. Most of the time I record multiple tags and then go back and comment out the multiples for the objects that SilkTest does not always recognize.

I have also found the the Window Tag Recorder is a very valuable tool to have turned on when you are having problems with recognizing objects.

You turn this recorder on (for some reason it is not a default recorder) by going to Options/Agent Options, clicking on the compatibility tab and making sure Add 'Window tag' to the record menu is checked. This recorder will then be available under the record menu.

Mike F

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try using the documentation on testing Windows and Web apps with Silk Test, available under customer download section.

------------------
    Sree
    Sree

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Multitags can be very helpful in getting your test frame to be more flexible. Like most things that can help you in life though, too much of them can harm you.

Example: If your app has a pushbutton whose caption changes from "Turn On" to "Turn Off" when it is clicked, you could have the need of 2 wondow declarations:

PushButton TurnOn
    tag "Turn On"
    PushButton TurnOff
    tag "Turn Off"

With multitags you could have one declaration:

PushButton Turn
    multitag "Turn On"
    "Turn Off"

multitage are also useful for localization testing. You can have your translated tags all fit in one frame file:

PushButton Cancel
    multitag "Cancel"
    "Abbrechen"
    "Annulier"
    "What ever other translation"

Where multitags can get you in trouble is where you have a Pushbutton that used to say "Quit" and now it says "Exit". If you had a declaration like:

PushButton Quit
    multitag "Quit"
    "#3"
    "$232"

The pushbutton would only be recognized correctly if it were the 3rd button on the screen OR the WindowID was still 232. You run the risk of SilkTest just finding the 3rd button on the screen and assuming that it is the correct button. If it isn't the right buttonm then SilkTest would be going down a path you don't want it to.

Tags are tools. Very powerful ones. Knowing how to use them is the Key to being successful with SilkTest. There will be some objects that you want multitags and some that you won't.

------------------
    James Soderborg
    http://www.ameliortech.com
    jamesso@ameliortech.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, I'm totally into using multitags. They are especially useful in localized testing. And as for buttons changing names, I have scripts where the entire product name has changed four times and the windows are multitagged with four different names. Within that, there are controls (buttons, menu items, etc.) that have changed their caption several times. They are multitagged and they work beautifully. It beats the heck out of editing thousands of lines of code in the script itself. I multitag the include file and all the scripts 'magically' work again.

------------------