SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Connect function no longer functional in Win2000

I'm testing proprietary windows apps. on an isolated network using SilkTest 5.0.2 on Windows2000 platform. Previous testing on NT resulted in successful use of the Connect function when running multiple testcases on different machines. However, I keep receiving the error message: "Unable to connect to machine "..."---Socket connection refused." I tried various configurations of Runtime Options, but still get the error.
    Any suggestions on how to make this work?

thanks.

------------------

Jake
    jake

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Connect function no longer functional in Win2000

There are no problems I know of using connect. Try checking the simple things first, enable TCP/IP in Silk runtime options on the local machine and also on the remote agent. Right click on the agent and choose 'network'. Select TCP/IP in the network field. In Silk itself, go to the menu item Options/Runtime and the network field is in the upper right

I believe the error message you got occurs when the remote agent is not network enabled.

------------------

[This message has been edited by BrianCarroll (edited 08-17-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brian, thanks for your input. I'm trying to post a copy of a different version of the Connect function that I wrote into my script, but the UPLOAD FILES feature of this BB won't allow me to attach the .txt file. It's basically taken straight from the lang. reference book. Perhaps I didn't write it correctly. I'd post it for you to see but, again, I can't attach it here.

Anyway, I knew about the runtime options and played around with various configurations, but the same error message was produced each time. I'll stick to the obvious for now (i.e. network settings here in my lab)

------------------

Jake
    jake

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brian, here's the file I was trying to upload. Seems I was unable to attach files because of a 3Post limit which is coded into this BB.

take a look at NewConnect.txt and let me know if you can deduce anything from it.

(Or anyone else for that matter. I'm open to all suggestions.)

------------------
    Jake
    jake

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It looks ok from what I can tell. I replaced your pc names because they were the same for target and host. I figure that's really not what you are doing, wouldn't make sense to. At the beginning of your script you did a Connect that seemed extraneous. The only other thing that I commented out was saving the hosts handle. It's fine to do it the way you did it, by using SetMachine to swap back and forth, but a lot of times I just Connect and then Disconnect from my target without ever using GetMachine and SetMachine.

I would recommend writing a simple bogus testcase to debug this connect problem. write a one-liner

testcase blah() appstate none
    connect("pc1234")

if this doesn't work, and your network settings are correct in Silk, I don't know what it could be. At that point try pinging your target machine, maybe you have real network problems.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem solved! I looked further into the network issue. Turns out the remote Agent wasn't configured properly. seems simple now, but easily overlooked. I scrapped the function with SetMachine and GetMachine, set the runtime options accordingly and went back to my original, simplified version of th Connect function:

Main ()
    Connect ("pc#here")
    testcase(1)
    testcase(2)
    testcase(n)

thanks again for the common sense reinforcement.

------------------

[This message has been edited by jehill (edited 08-17-2001).]
    jake