SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One master include or many seperate?

Yet another question about common practices. I've been in the habit of having one master include that I reference in Use Files in Runtime Options. This master include uses all my includes and putting it in runtime options allows me to not have to reference and update use statements in any of my scripts. A downside is of course that all my includes get used by every script whether they need them or not, but i've found the simplicity and maintenance to outweigh that. Having said that, based on other responses this does not seem to be the way most people do things. Anyone care to share how they organize their includes and why?

------------------
    Adam Kuczkowski

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: One master include or many seperate?

Adam,
    Yes. And no.

When working on a project with multiple people, I may have many include files (all referenced from the main include file that's referenced in the Runtime Options DialogBox) so that we can be working on different things at one time. Something like primitive version control. That is, Bob can be working on declarations that matter to him, I can be working on mine, etc.

Additionally, if there's some functions or such that are very specific to one script (e.g.- foo.t), I may create an include file that's referenced from that one script and put all common things in there. Although I'll usually just put them someplace else in the .t file.

Another option. Sometimes, when working with other users, everyone needs their own data for tests (e.g. username, password, etc.). Then, from the main frame file, I have a statement of 'user "user.inc"' where each tester has their own user.inc with their own local data in it.

Generally, one include file referenced in Runtime Options with, perhaps, multiple files referenced off of that works best. If an include file referenced from the main frame file doesn't change, at compile time SilkTest will use the pre-compiled file. Seems faster.

Bon chance.

- Dave

------------------
    Amelior Technology
    dreed@ameliortech.com
    WaltzingRhino.com
    A concerned Borland customer, a fly in the ointment, a wrench in the works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One master include is nice, but as your library develops, you will probably break up your library and change the master include into a list of includes.

This is not a fixed rule, however.
    If I have a group of testcases that ONLY deal with the Oracle Database, I will only include my "DatabaseInterface.inc" file.
    There is no reason to include the "ClientGuiInterface.inc".

------------------
    Rob Kapteyn
    Rob Kapteyn, CSTE
    RobKapteyn@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our team uses a single include for all generic custom functions that will be useful for anyone testing any product. This include file is called via a use statement in the script template that we all use. The runtime options are as stripped down as possible.

Then each product (some 60+ of them) may have their own include file for window declarations. So shared funcitons are in one include and declarations are in a product specific include.

We used to use a single include for both, but it grew to an unmanagable size, and window declarations began to step on each other.

------------------