SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does everyone declare all their windows?

Another thread got me wondering if everyone is in the practice of declaring all their windows, or if there are situations where people are not declaring windows.

I believe in the benefit declaring all of my windows, however I find myself in a situation where I probably won't be able to do that for an application I just need to write a quick script for.

------------------
    Adam Kuczkowski

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Does everyone declare all their windows?

Again...yes...and no.

When working on an application (e.g. a web app) that has a lot of template-based windows (that is, windows that are all alike with perhaps different contents or graphics based on actions), I may create common windows to handle all of those.

You may discover that many things fall into this category. For example, most e-commerce sites, the product pages are all the same but with different content, graphics, etc. ASP or JSP pages with different queries thrown to them.

So, no, I don't declare every page, but I declare every unique page that has significant differences to them.

- Dave

------------------
    Amelior Technology
    dreed@ameliortech.com
    WaltzingRhino.com
    A concerned Borland customer, a fly in the ointment, a wrench in the works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We wondered the same and posed this question a few years back to a Segue training rep. He said that test execution will go quicker if you record all your windows - and all objects within the windows. Apparently if you don't record all the objects within your windows SilkTest still has to capture that information during execution. Maybe things have changed as SilkTest has progressed....

Dana

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a question that falls into this area as well. When testing web apps (where many pages are the same with different links, etc), I have problems with some pages when the links change. For example, on a message board, one page may have many more message links than the next, so sometimes during execution silk cant find the link at all, or it clicks the wrong one because it was a different place on the similar page recorded. I have tried declaring each window separately, giving each unique identifiers/tags, but silk always recongnizes all the windows as the main one. I havent explained this very well, but hopefully someone may have some insight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For many web applications, I record the window, then delete all of the child objects. This way the window itself is recognized, but the objects within the window are all dynamically instantiated.

Example:

Login.HtmlTextField ("$user").SetText ("abc")
    Preferences.HtmlLink ("Home").Click ()

The aeweb3.inc library, available at automationexpertise.com, also allows you to manipulate most web objects with just a tag, regardless of whether it is a table, using functions such as Link, Image, and LinkPathClick ()

Examples:

Link ("Home")
    Image ("$imglogo")
    TextFieldSetText ("$user", "abc")

With this functions, no declarations are required, resulting in more meaningful testcases and less maintenance.

Hope this helps.

------------------
    John W Green
    jwgreen@automationexpertise.com
    http://www.automationexpertise.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a rule,

Declare what objects you need to interact with. (textfields to type into, buttons to push, ect.) But be careful of the tags you choose for the object. WindowId is a good choice, be cautious with using index.

Don't mess with the rest. If your scripts don't refer to the objects in your frame file, get rid of them. Less to maintain. Less to worry about.

------------------
    James Soderborg
    http://www.ameliortech.com
    jamesso@ameliortech.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It depends on the page and what I'm doing with it. For pages that have a lot of fields and buttons that differ in recognition, I have set up databases with a table for each page. Browser would be one field, followed by fields for the moniker I attach to each object. The value is the index. By querying the DB table in my test case I can pull the index by browser.
    For situations like this I think it's six of one and half-a-dozen of the other. This is just my way. I have tried multiple declarations, empty declarations, etc. My preference is no declarations and a DB.

------------------