User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Testing for broken links

Can anyone help!

I am testing a windows application that contains treeview items. For each treeview item I can select different options, for example, Information or Web site. If I select the option Web Site, it accesses the web site within the windows application (It doesn't load Internet Explorer or Netscape separately). Is there a way that I can check that the Websites don't go to a broken link, even though I am in a windows application and not IE or NN?

I tried using "BrowserPageNotFound". It didn't work as I am not in IE or NN.

------------------
    Who Tests The Tester...
    Who Tests The Tester...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Testing for broken links

Hi,

Assuming that a browser window appears, does the name or URL of the link destination appear in the title bar of the browser window? If so, may be you could use this to verify that the link worked.

Alternatively, if the browser window is based on IE for example (you should see something like 'InternetExplorer_Server1' when recording window declarations), add your browser application to the Extension Enabler and SilkTest Options / Extension, specifying the IE extension. (I haven't tried this myself but from what I have heard it should work).

I hope that this helps.

John.

------------------
    John O'Neill.
    Quality Automation Ltd. www.quality-automation.com

[This message has been edited by John O'Neill (edited 08-15-2001).]
    John O'Neill.
    Quality Automation Ltd.
    www.quality-automation.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

G'Day John,

It isn't that easy. The web site opens within the windows application, thus, I cannot see the URL address.

However, 'InternetExplorer_Server1' has been recorded as the window declarations.

Is there some way that I can check the first line of the text, to see if it displays "The Page cannot be displayed", if I can't use the function BrowserPageNotFound.

Any other suggestions?

------------------
    Who Tests The Tester...
    Who Tests The Tester...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Assuming your app displays the same "Page not displayed" page as IE...

Try the following:

If you can't force a "page not displayed" in your app, then do it in IE.

Then when the page appears use verify properties (CTRL+ALT while recording Actions) and select the text "page not displayed".

Then it should work if you transplant and apply the code in your script to reflect your app rather than IE.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your error screen is not like IE's try this.

After launching the application, and a page comes up (whether it is the correct one or not) run the function CheckForClass (Included in the attached file)
    [ ] //* This function captures all of the object's and their information on the current screen
    [ ] //* then searches through the stored LIST OF WINDOW for DATACLASS matches equal to the
    [ ] //* input value dcClass. When it finds a class match the object's name is stored in the
    [ ] //* returned LIST OF WINDOW lwMatches. When all of the objects have been gone through
    [ ] //* the values stored in lwMatches is passed back to what called this function

This list of window can then be put into a loop to go get the text within the specified objects and see if it contains the error message you are looking for.

MikeF

------------------