User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: DB_Connect() timeout error

I am not sure if that is your problem but you can create DB that doesn't require passwords, so that you can access your db faster. If you want a detailed tutorial of creating your own db and accessing it look in Segue's web site. Also you will need information about the DB you are using cause Silk is not giving your the synthax about any common DB attributes(used for DB_Connect)

Look in Visual Studio help for more insight. DB_Connect sounds like SQLConnect.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Adam,

In the Administrative Tools, double click the Data Sources (ODBC), create and/or select the User DSN that you are going to use then switch to the Connection Pooling tab, then set the Retry Wait Time to a bigger number.

Is this what you were looking for!?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DB_Connect() timeout error

I'm trying to run DB_Connect ("DSN=QA_JUNK;UID=123;PWD=abc")
    and I get this timeout error "*** Error: (HYT00) [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired". I know the problem is just that it's taking too long to connect to the server, but I haven't been able to find a place to change the timeout value. It seems to be defaulted to 20, and I'd like to bump it up. I looked in the ODBC control panel and MSSQL server properties but couldn't find where this is set. I'm connecting to an MSSQL 6.5 server. If anyone knows if there is a timeout parameter I can pass or where to set the timeout in ODBC or MSSQL i'd appreciate the help.

thanks,
    adam

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the suggestions but no luck yet. I tried changing the settings in connection pooling but they made no difference. It looks like those times are more for reusing connection once they exist rather then a timeout for when you first connect.

For this test I don't have the option of creating my own db or chaging passwords. I'm testing a db at a remote location and have to use this specific db. I can connect to dbs in our office fine, it's just a time issue with our remote office.

I've been looking around in all sorts of help, but haven't found a solution to this problem yet.

thanks,
    adam

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just did a small test using machine A to connect on machine B where a excel file sits.
    It worked for me. What kind of DB are you using?

The way I did it is to setup a drive mapping to the folder where the DB sits. Then in the ODBC I created a DSN and indicates where the excel(or other DB) file is. How far is your other machine??

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

adam,

Without using SilkTest, can you connect to your remote db at all? If so, then you should be able to connect also via DB Connect () in SilkTest.
    How about showing us a sample of your code and telling us what ODBC Driver you are using?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The server i'm connecting to is actually in Michigan, while i'm sitting here in NH. The problem is just that we have a slow connection to them. It's a MSSQL 6.5 server and MSSQL 6.5 dbs, and I can connect to the dbs through enterprise manger, but I had to change the timeout option in enterprise manager to 30 seconds before I could connect. So now i'm looking for a similar place to change the timeout option for an ODBC connection, either through the ODBC control panel or the DB_Connect function. I have managed to connect twice before the 20 second timeout was reached using DB_Connect, but that's in about 50-75 tries, so that kind of percentage isn't going to work.

adam

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you just need to find out the attribute keyword that controls retry timeout, to be used in DB_Connect(use all DB specific attributes). Check MSSQL driver manual or help. You need to find out the attributes!! So you can stick it in your DB_Connect's argument.
    Or go ask Segue for a quick answer:P

------------------

[This message has been edited by GodKnows (edited 08-10-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Check DB_SetConnectAttr () function from the Online Help. I think this should let you set the attributes necessary for your SQL Driver.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you read carefully DB_SetConnectAttr() needs a handle returned by DB_Connect() in the first argument.

online help
    You need to set something within the DB_Connect() argument.

[This message has been edited by GodKnows (edited 08-10-2001).]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast