User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

parent statement as a variable?

Silk 5.0.3.1

I've created a number of dynamic instances of JavaMainWins based on a common class. I want to address various dialogs in this class directly - as in: dialog.action() - without having to insert their declarations within their actual parent window which results in the more common command structure window.dialog.action(). The former approach is operationally much cleaner given Java's flat structure (and it reduces maintanance); the latter is too wordy.

Unfortunately Silk's parent statement does not accept a variable or function and complains with either "not a window" (even when it is) or "syntax error".

I'm inclined at this time to go ahead and create a dummy parent window, just to satify each dialog's parent statement, then use a window variable pointing to the dummy to allow the syntax I want.

Anybody tried something similar? Any risks with doing it this way?

Thanks,

John

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: parent statement as a variable?

The parent statement is not absolutely necessary. An alternative is to use the ActiveApp statement in your tag. An example of this is:
    window MessageBoxClass MessageBox
    &nbsp&nbsptag "~ActiveApp/[DialogBox]$MessageBox"

this is fairly effective, however, I have experienced some problems with this if your trying to use a multitag and the ActiveApp statement.
    Hope this helps.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: parent statement as a variable?

In automation we have to look at things that are not so obvious...

If I understand the issue, you want to support multiple parents that have the same children without having to duplicate code.

Quickest approach is the dummy method.
    Or as the other person suggested, you can declare the parent DIRECTLY in the tag, try using a function or variable in that string..."ParentName/"Child Tag" Look in the online for examples of that, search for activeapp keyword.

The other way is to simply make the PARENT with a tag that is dynamic--the tag statement accepts variables and functions, so something like

Hope this has helped.
    Tony

------------------