Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FAQs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FAQs

The purpose of this is to provide answers to the most frequently asked questions related to SilkTest. This is by no means as comprehensive as you might expect (as of now), but can be a good resource for everybody especially those who are new/planning to use SilkTest.

To provide a worthwhile experience to all who reads this, I am calling for everyone not to reply to this posting. If you do have something valuable to say just email it to me and I would be more than glad to update this to include your contribution. I am also committing myself to constantly update this and make sure that it'll be always on top of the list (or maybe our good moderators are nice enough to change this to an announcement)

THANKS TO OUR MODERATORS WHO GRANTED OUR REQUEST TO BUMP THIS THREAD!

<hr><font size=2 color="#0000FF">Questions</font>

<table border=0><tr><td>1. </td><td>Where can I get/download an evaluation copy of SilkTest?</td><tr><td>2. </td><td>Which tool is better, SilkTest or Winrunner?</td></tr><tr><td>3. </td><td>How can I omit optional argument(s) passed to a function?</td></tr></table>

<hr><font size=2 color="#0000FF">Answers</font>

<table border="0"><tr><td><a name="FAQ001"><font size=2 color="#000066">1.</font></a></td><td><font size=2 color="#000066">Where can I get/download an evaluation copy of SilkTest?</font></td></tr><tr><td>*</td><td><font size=1>Try www.segue.com</font></td></tr><tr><td colspan=2> </td></tr><tr><td><a name="FAQ002"><font size=2 color="#000066">2.</font></a></td><td><font size=2 color="#000066">Which tool is better, SilkTest or Winrunner?</font></td></tr><tr><td> </td><td><font size=1>This document written by T. Horwarth, J. Green and T. Lawler describes as objectively as possible the capabilities provided by SilkTest and Winrunner for each feature rather than trying to state that one tool's implementation of a feature is better than the other.</font></td></tr><tr><td colspan=2> </td></tr><tr><td><a name="FAQ003"><font size=2 color="#000066">3.</font></a></td><td><font size=2 color="#000066">How can I omit optional argument(s) passed to a function?</font></td></tr><tr><td> </td><td><font size=1>By using the keyword null.
    e.g.
    If you want to provide all the parameters except the second on a call to the Str() builtin function: Str(1.5, null, 3)
    </font></td></tr></table>

<hr>

kalabog73@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by kalabog (edited 08-02-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: FAQs

Thats great help to the community thanks - Sree

------------------
    Sree
    Sree

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

User A G (subscription@indiainfo.com.nospam) posted:

Hello,

I record an htmllink.
    It goes something like this

Now suppose this link "SR" with the URL "http://www.abc.com" is not
    present, then this silk takes the 7th link present (irrespective of the
    text or the url & clicks it).

I want the silk to stop and report that such a url not found.

What to do?

Pl. help.

~A.
    --------------------------------------------- http://mail.indiainfo.com
    India's first ISO certified portal
    Check world time at http://time.indiainfo.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe in your test frame of all your object definitions these links have the same name? have you looked and verified that they are unique? just wondering...

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most likely in your window declarations, the SR link contains "#7" as one of its window tags.

If you remove index-based tags from the window declarations, and define links only by url (or screen text), Silk should be able to see that it is not present on the page.

Otherwise, whatever link falls at index 7 on your web page will be identified as the SR link. By making your tags as specific as possible, you remove the possibility for confusion (Silk's confusion, not yours. )

------------------
    jrae@intellech.com

[This message has been edited by Intellech (edited 11-29-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you know if it is possible to create an user interface in Silk Test.

Letīs suppose a test where the user can select groups or just one test to run instead all of them (in my script I can print just 1 job up to 30000 with sub groups).

How can I create a interface to the user enter the information to select the tests.

Actually I am using the notepad to do that.

Andarilho

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Andarilho,

Read the User's Guide chapters on Test Plans; they'll give you the test selectivity you want.

John

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a good for beginners of Silk and also to the person , who is in delama in which tool to select.

Thanks to the Author,

Rgds,

Chris.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,
    I read about Silk test. But still can not perform the Regression and Increamental testing through it.
    Can anybody pl. help me or guide me for the above mention testing??
    It will be of great help to me.
    Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most people take regression means, those changes to GUI which is a common situation in Webbased development. And then there is functional regression testing... Well... take your pick. There are tools which claim to do a great help for helping you with updated GUI changes automatically updating the frame/map files but then you can simply Record a new frame, once you are sure the GUI is firm.
    Usually, Silktest is used by people who test complex scenarios using intricate scripting instead of recording. But, surely we can discuss the issue further.

------------------
    Jaimini Bhatt
    jaiminita@hotmail.com
    jaiminita@yahoo.com
    Jaimini Bhatt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast