0 Thread(s)

Silk opens multiple instances of the application

Hello Silk USers,
    Occasionaly , the Silk tries to open multiple
    instances of the testing application.
    This happens when it is waiting
    for the New window to come up....
    After which the test fails...
    The application is JAva , desktop client.
    Thanks
    ~Girija

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Silk opens multiple instances of the application

Girja,

Yes! I have seen this exact same thing. Our situation was also a Java Swing application. It is related to a new question I'll post as soon as I'm done reading. What was happening was the application was invoked but was not loading quickly enough or, was not being set active. What I did (took a little time) was to nest EVERYTHING in a do/except routine. That way if anything at all went wrong in the loading of the application it would throw an exception. In the except routine, I am closing all open windows except SilkTest. Now, the down side of this is that the tests don't get run, and you have a lot of failures in the results file. However, considering the alternative you and I were seeing, NONE of the tests were running once multiple instances of the window were up.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DJGray,
    Thanks for the reply...
    Yes I did try with the Do/Except routine.
    It gives lot of errors in the result file.
    Is it a timer problem...?Please keep me
    posted on any new solution to this problem.
    Thanks
    ~Girija

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well...

Here is where I have ended up with this, but this solution is unique to our situation, so it may not be the answer for you.

Typically I use the Start() method because it allows cross-platform testing. Fortunately, in this particular case, the application I am testing is designed for NT only. So, I have a dll that has a ShellProcess() method that I am using to start my application. For whatever reason, when I use Start() or SYS_Exectue() to start my application, it comes up as "Inactive" about half the time. The Start method never returns, so calling SetActive() on it doesn't do me any good. This ShellProcess() seems to be calling the application in such a way that it comes up as active every time.

Now, the question is, is that the problem that is causeing multiple instances of your app? If so, would this dll help you? I can email it to you if you like.

------------------