Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Silk Test does not find window after many tests

Hi,
    I am testing Java Application(JDK 1.2) with SilkTest 5.0 on NT4.0 machine.
    When Silk Test runs many tests from the testplan, one fine moment it flags the error, "Javadialogbox not found" or "Window not found error." and the same errors are repeated for all the tests further. Note that all the tests from the testplans run ok individually. I found work around for the problem: restart the silktest as well as the application under test!! Then it works ok for some test and again same problem happens at some other test in the testplan.
    One observation is on the application command window, the memory not found error from segue.
    One more observation is that when the silktest and application are freshly started the tests are executing faster!
    So is there any problem with memory allocation in SilkTest. Is there any parameter by which we can change the memory segments and what are the typical values of the parameters.
    Hope that I find some solution.
    -Kishor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Silk Test does not find window after many tests

Still I could not get any reply from anybody. I browsed through all the posting in SilkTest from Beta Soft. Found that this topic of memory leak is already been discussed but not solved!! Did you get anything on this problem Terry Horwath, Sampath? I found that you had posted something regarding this!
    Awaiting some response:-(
    -Kishor.

AJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm afraid that this problem is not just a Java problem, but there are a lot of objects (Even HTML) that are not being found after a while running a script (or testplan).

The problem is with the agent, either leaking memory, or just the fact that the controlled app not returning info anymore.

I think Segue knows about this one and are trying to investigate it, It's not an easy one to catch and resolve.

The reason why nobody's replied is because they have not noticed it or they have, but have not found a solution.

There are many problems with long term testing, but usually there's a workaround.
    I have done this many times myself, for example:
    If you are testing websites, you can usually tell the agent to reload a page if an object you're interested in is not found. Terry has this in his "Yet another framework" library in our download section.

I'm not sure what you'd do for Java objects, but you can try to force rediscovery.

Hope that gives you an area to explore.

------------------
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure why, but if you close and re-invoke the application under test, the agent will be able to find the objects.

Cynthia

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This problem is fixed in SilkTest 5.0.1

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think this problem has been fixed in 5.0.1. But I get this problem less often with my new PC - 400Mhz, 320 MB (wow!), winNT4.0 with IE 5.0. Also, I make sure I don't run any other application (other than Silk and browser) in that PC when I record and playback scripts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We, too, have similar problems. We test a Java app in Netscape and find that when Netscape and Agent run at the same time, memory usage creeps upwards until the system gets paralyzed. Java apps will do this in Netscape without Agent, but much slower.

Another thing we found is that Netscape will still be 'running' even after the GUI is closed. You can see this in NT's task manager.

What we do is to actually KILL netscape after each unit test. Someone else in our org came up with the particulars, but appearently there's a way to invoke the tast manager and kill netscape using a dos command. If anyone's interested, I can post the particulars when I get in to the office on Monday.

------------------
    Bruce Berger
    Enliven Business Unit
    @Home Network
    1601 Trapelo Road
    Waltham, MA 02451
    781-768-2027
    Bruce Berger
    Enliven Business Unit
    @Home Network
    1601 Trapelo Road
    Waltham, MA 02451
    781-768-2027
    bberger@enliven.home.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure! I would be helpful if you could share that "killing" stuff :-)

Sam

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We had the same problem since we started testing a Java application using Silk 5. After some amount of time, the Agent would lose the ability to see any controls within the app's windows. After this happened, we could go in to Record Window Declarations and see that all the Agent could see was the window itself, but not its contents.

After trying to help Segue debug this, I received a version of our application that no longer exhibited this problem. I have no idea what our developers fixed, but something they did seems to have fixed the problem.

Dana Cline
    danacline@lucent.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm having the same problem testing a Java 1.3 Swing app under Silk Test 5.5. Has anyone found a solution yet?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast