SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some GUI specifiers don\'t seem to work in Silk 5.0.3.2

I'm trying to add some debug printing to some script files I have and wanted to only print out the debug message when debug was enabled. I first thought about using a compiler constant but this meant I'd have to do an if statement before calling the debug log function. I figured it would be neat to be able to use an old GUI specifier such as 'galaxy' to turn debug on or off. The problem I've got is that the following code does not work as I expect it. Does anyone know which GUI specifiers actually work?

produces the following output when run with pm, galaxy, msw, mac in the Gui Targets of the Runtime Options dialog:

Windows test

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

Regards,

Andrew

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Some GUI specifiers don\'t seem to work in Silk 5.0.3.2

No idea what's going wrong I'm afraid, but I thought that I might contribute something to your idea of using a compiler constant to determine debug behaviour. That's what we use here; we simply have a compiler constant called DEBUG, which can be true or false. Then we have a function called DPrint() which works as follows:
    We also have similar functions called DLogWarning and DLogError, but they are less useful for the most part. So you can call DPrint in the same way that you would call Print, and just change the compiler constant to enable the debug printing or disable.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd already implemented the solution you suggested. Thanks for the reply though! I was after trying to avoid all those function calls and failed if comparisons when running in the default non debug mode. I can't see a way to do this with compiler constants so GUI specifiers seemed the obvious route. I started by picking the ones I'd never use such as galaxy but they don't seem to work.

Oh well, just another area where SilkTest sucks.

Regards,

Andrew

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Andrew,

I assume that if you run this on a Mac the output would be:

Mac test

Maybe this will do the trick.

Good luck.

------------------
    kalabog73@hotmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oops,

I was having one of those slow days where my brain wasn't quite working right. It's obvious that even though you only specify a number of GUI specifiers at compile time the specifiers are still evaluated at run time to see which code should run. This means I can't use GUI specifiers as a means of saying ifdef DEBUG then compile this code in.

Does anyone know of a way of conditionally compiling in code so that you don't need to do lots of if (debug) then print statements?

------------------