User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SORTING Window Declarations

I am going to try to explain this, let me know if I am not too clear.

When you do a RECORD/Window Declartions, capture all the objects in the window, then either paste to the editor or copy to clipboard, SILK has its own ordering method for the objects (I think left to right).

Our automation team generally takes all those objects and groups them together by type (ie., all TextBoxes together) after SILK captures them. I was wondering if anyone has encountered a faster method to group these objects other then cutting and pasteing them manually.

Thanks!

Anthony

AJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: SORTING Window Declarations

I would leave the order that the agent captures things alone. The reason is easier maintainability. You may think that having all text fields grouped together is easier for the eyes to read, but the fact is that it's easier to find out what has been moved (if anything moves and testcases fail) If you get used to reading the dialog boxes as the agent does.

------------------
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you have any problems with grouping similar controls together? I'm assuming that you don't use index numbers for your tags. I would guess might cause inconsistencies in how the agent identifies similar tagged controls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anthony,

I would also leave them the way they are. The only thing I do to them to make life easier is to add additional info. Ie. Close button will be cmdClose, dlgTextDialog etc..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are just asking if there is an easier way to move the lines around, besides using the ALT-Up and Alt-Down, not really. I leave my declaration order as is. It makes it easier for me to see if anything new was added if I need to re-declare the dialog.

------------------
    --Nadine

[This message has been edited by Nadine Parmelee (edited 10-11-1999).]
    --Nadine

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for everyone's feedback on this.

The only reason why I feel this way is because most of the forms in the JAVA application contain at least 50 objects, many of them consisting of static text. So what happens is most of the textboxes and combo boxes wind up with wacky names.
    The method we have done is capture the window, paste it, group the items, then go back and find those items on the GUI and rename them accordingly for each screen (we have over 100 screens). Does anyone actually change the variable names in the little capture window box before they paste? What is the standard way to find rename the object names after the window declaration is done...? We have a 100 % new version, so we are starting from scratch and would be nice to get some experienced feedback since it took about 1 1/2 weeks to declare most of the screens in the previous version with 1 person working on it.
    Thanks again!!
    Anthony

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually leave the ordering as recorded. Then I manually remove multitags. I also change the name of labels to something that more resembles the window id and not the actual text.

-Cynthia

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leave the record order. I do all my editing in the recorder dialog before I paste - change variable name, remove unwanted multitags, etc.
    Kendall Schmidt
    Vignette Corporation
    kschmidt@vignette.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wasn't going to chime in, however I have had to deal with this so much I think I will.

In General I do re-order some recordings. I find that on pages that have tabs you will not get a unique identifier for each exposed tab, so you have to figure out what objects are common vs. unique. I will group text labels with their respective fields etc... Silk works from left to right, top to bottom and fromt to back (if layered) it's not that hard to figure out what has changed even on a complicated page. Often when getting a new release I will launch the record window identifiers recorded and fly over the page to see what may be new or unrecognised due to changes from the previous build. I will then either update the tag or add the object.

I have found that using a standard naming convention from the begining is a big help in the long run. Below is an ecerpt from a document I have written about this. If you want the full doc let me know and I will email it.

Good Luck,
    Tom

...begin

It is a good idea to establish naming conventions for your 4Test code. Most of these conventions need to be applied to Objects in the programs Frame/ Include (*.inc) File. They are also required for Variables and Functions incorporated in SILK test scripts.

These naming conventions will help the QA testers by:

§ Standardizing the structure, coding style and logic of a testsuite.
    § Creating precise, readable, and unambiguous testcases.
    § Being consistent with other language conventions (most importantly, standard Windows C Hungarian Notation).
    § Being efficient from string size and labor standpoint, allowing longer and fuller object names.

The naming convention I have found to be most useful is standard Windows C Hungarian Notation. Developed by Charles Simonyi of Microsoft, it has become a standard of programming for C and Visual Basic. It proves valuable by fulfilling the requirements listed above in a clear and concise manner.

Although 4Test suffixes do indicate an object’s type, they can be long and cumbersome to work with. Segue’s testing products often require manual coding to supplement recorded testcases. It is also important to remember that SILK doe not define and type variables for the tester. Applying standardized naming conventions will help multiple testers working on the same project when sharing or editing another’s scripts.
    end...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I often remove objects like static text which clutter the window declarations and aren't needed by my tests.

------------------
    Bret Pettichord
    Tivoli Systems
    Bret Pettichord
    Book - www.testinglessons.com
    Hotlist - www.testinghotlist.com
    Consulting - www.pettichord.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast