Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    bob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Extreme Quality Assurance (XQA)

I read the Case Study by James A.Canter and Liz Derr.Does anybody know what 3rd party tool they use? Our project,E-business, utilize Extreme Programming approach and I am looking at what QA can offer for testing. Would XQA be a good solution? Does anybody else creates their automated tests before the actual code is ready?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Extreme Quality Assurance (XQA)

We will be in the short future creating the testcase and the automated plan at the same time. How we do it, is simple. Each testcase will be written in predefined English language. A parser will generate a .t file. And Silk will run these .t files. The front end can be anything that can generate space delimited files(ex:Excel, notepad).

Advantage is that the QA Eng does not have to worry about converting the testcase into actual automated script. This approach makes a QA Eng's role more specialized and technical within the QA group.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think there are alot of places talking about this topic. I am not sure if XQA is the same as XP where cooperation, and team work are the key points. I hope I am not wrong.

Anyhow, we got this idea from a QA conference. In the conference they called it 3rd generation tools. You might want to check some QA conference site.

------------------

bob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, if Silk can be used in XQA where can I get a more detailed technics? We have a SilkTest licence.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GK,

I'm sorry man... you're going to have to explain a bit more about this one. This is just too intriguing to let drop that easily. If you prefer, contact me offline via email.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi GK,
    Could you post some code example?
    My company started doing XP program and they want to automate each user story and use those for regression testing also.
    Different people are getting those assignments. But I do not know how to use them for regression testing? Is it worth full? Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

------------------

[This message has been edited by mansri (edited 07-27-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you mean by "to automate each user story and use those for regression testing also".

Philosophy behind our approach, is to separate the logic behind a test case and the implementation in SilkTest(or other tools).

The advantages are many. For example you are LESS independent of any tool used to automate regression tests. Reduction of work by two fold since creating the test cases and implementing it become one(do-all) step. The work load is reduced and spread amongst the analyst, so QA Eng. can concentrate to automate other stuff. I think this is a way to bring in more technical ppl to use technologies that are not exploited enough for tester(sadly).

=======================
    There is actually no code to be shown that would make you automate better. I can tell you our project's design. We just build simple function set that covers 80% of the product and then build an web interface(using perl-cgi-html) to write test cases, and use another perl script(I believe) to convert the input into a .t file(very simple). We use web base interface again to
    run the test cases in client machines(we had the chance to test this interface for a while). The little pieace and bits came along from a QA conference quiet nicely(credit the my organized manager).

The whole integration of the system is quiet frustrating but once it's working you might not want to touch it kind of stuff I am quiet exciting to see the overall effect on the QA group, hopefully is to bring more juicy projects.

I hope this is making some more sense

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

Check out Keith Zambelich's White Paper entitled 'Totally Data-Driven Automated Testing' for further information. It should be available in the downloads section or at http://www.sqa-test.com/w_paper1.html.

John.

------------------
    John O'Neill.
    Quality Automation Ltd. www.quality-automation.com

[This message has been edited by John O'Neill (edited 07-30-2001).]
    John O'Neill.
    Quality Automation Ltd.
    www.quality-automation.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John,

Can't locate it in downloads, and the link you supplied is taking me to an invalid page. Can you look at it and post it again?

Thanks!

------------------

bob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try http://www.sqa-test.com and find white papers there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast