SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Learning WinRunner after knowing SilkTest

I am using SilkTest for last 2 years. Now I have to use WinRunner. I have just started learning WinRunner. I wanted to know the following things,

SilkTest has got a Built-in recovery system. I want to know if there is anything similar to this in WinRunner. If no, then is there any other similar facility or we have to write TSL code to develop this.

SilkTest has got The SilkTest Agent which can be run on different machines, Is there any thing in WinRunner like this. This I need to do client/server testing. How do I do c/s testing using WinRunner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Learning WinRunner after knowing SilkTest

Hi

For both of your Questions Answer is WR doesn't have Agent or No Recovery system.

You have to write recovery system and you have to use .bat file

I use Silk test for 3 years now i am using WR 7.0

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Prasad;

For recovery, you'll have to write your own function to ensure BaseState/AppState.

WR does not have an agent that can allow for running a script (or different scripts) on different machines. That functionality is found in the LoadRunner Controller, where you can control different GUI (or non-GUI) vusers on different machines.

Welcome to WinRunner! You'll probably find some features you like and some you'll miss from SilkTest.

Good luck;
    Jerry

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So from what I am hearing in this discussion is that it might be better for me to user SilkTest than WR for testing a Jave GUI based app? I am in the process of determining which way we should go for automation. The app has a NT front end and the server resides on IBM OS/390. So what do you guys advise me? Besides, I never used these tools and ease of use and support is somehow important. I also have minimu interest in programming and I want to stay away from a tool that might require extensive programing.
    Thank you!

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

aeulert:

If you have no experience with automated testing tools, do not make this decision yourself.
    You really need to have an experienced person look at the many variables of your particular situation, present you with your options, and get you started with a testing tool (if you need an expensive tool at all!).

The salesmen for BOTH Segue and Mercury will make ridiculous false claims and make everything look really simple until you buy.

A few thousand dollars for an experienced consultant will save save you 10 times that in the long run.

Unfortunately, I am not available until January

------------------
    Rob Kapteyn

[This message has been edited by RobKapteyn (edited 07-24-2001).]
    Rob Kapteyn, CSTE
    RobKapteyn@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for that great self promotion ad.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is more of an ad. I just want to get some advise from hands on users. Given the app type I am planing to automate which tool is the best? WinRunner or SilkTest. I don't want my company spend money to bring some consultant help me choose a tool if I can get this help from our user groups. I have read about the two tools and I have a good idea as to which I might use but I want to confirm that by getting more suggestion. That is all. Thanks in advance

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This really should have been posted under the Winrunner forum since you are asking what that tool has.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Janek is almost correct. The thread should be under the general "Automated Testing" forum as a comparison of toolsets. BTW, a search will come up with threads that might answer your question and even point you to web documents that compare the 2 tools.

Good luck.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks everybody!
    aeulert

------------------