SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Opening a socket through silk test...

I am testing a server-client product. I would like to remotely execute a server command through the client via silk and listen for the response from the server. Normally, I use the Telnet.inc include file that I got from segue to exectue these commands by connecting to the correct port on the server and parsing the results in a list. I would like a more sophistacated method where I can send a single command through opening a socket and get the result returned as a variable. Does anybody know how to do this?

Thanks,
    -Marc

------------------
    Marc Kaplan
    ApplianceWare
    "The New Vision In Appliance Networking"
    Marc Kaplan
    ApplianceWare
    The New Vision In Appliance Networking

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Opening a socket through silk test...

Maybe you could try using Wsock32.dll, on a windows machine of course.

If you have any luck, let me know.

Thanks.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want what you can do is to call a perl script and this script will return a result to a file. It's the least effort you can put.

The other way(better and more work relative to the above) is to write your own dll that does what you want. Basically you are looking at doing what a telnet is doing. It sends request to a server at port 23(port for a server is the service entry point, there a many reserved ones), and waits for an answers(it could be trimed at your need). If you really want to know how it works, I can dig the software from a book called TCP/IP something Vol3, it has a working example of telnet. Or you can dig on the net for telnet source code using preferably using winsock.

//My estimate of time to do that:
    expert : few hours
    intermediate: 1 to 2 days
    newbie : a week or less

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can u send me a copy of the telnet.inc file you mentioned above??

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is the source for dtelnet for 95/NT(probably for 98 as well). The important thing is that it's for windows and it's a complete telnet software.
    http://dtelnet.sourceforge.net/

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is related to the recent thread on HTTP requests and wininet.dll.

Does someone have the Telnet.inc file described in THIS thread ? It is probably very similar to the interface for HTTP requests.

I would rather execute commands on our unix server with a direct Telnet link, rather than through a Telnet GUI front end.

I emailed Segue's support to get the mentioned file and got a completely incompetent (and incorrect) response.

If someone already has this interface worked out, I would really appreciate it. Maybe I will even start being a regular contributor to the Forum again :-)

------------------
    Rob Kapteyn
    Rob Kapteyn, CSTE
    RobKapteyn@gmail.com