K12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Instructions for getting started.

Hey,
    I am sorry if this is wasting anyones time but I was referred here by a mate. I have literally just started SilkTest and am receiving conflicting advice on where to begin. Test Plans, Test Frames, test cases etc ! So could someone please give me the best outline for creating tests for a web based app.
    I am a complete novice here w no automation experience.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Instructions for getting started.

Hey k12

Your getting conflicting information because you are talking to different people. If you were to talk to a manager or pm the most important thing about tests are test plan documentation. Certainly at some point you had better know what it is you are trying to accomplish, but face it you also have to learn how to use Silk.

Experianced Testers tend to stress more complex issues, like test organizer.

If you were to talk with me I think the best thing to start with is the User Referance.
    Start with test frames because you want to get STARTED doing the job. The basis for all the work you do with Silk begins at the Test Frame level.

Learn it well grasshopper! Then write test casses off that test frame, and others. When you start getting good at that (and confident) only then will you be ready for Test Organizer. (I know you didn't throw in TO I though I would for you .. because you are going to hear about it)

Some people by the way do a wonderfull job in QA without Test organizer.Many poeple however do eventually use it.

Have fun with it .. I think all of us deep down still do. No matter how many years I put into QA, I gotta admit there is still some magic watching forms mysteriously fill themselves out and buttons push themselves.

------------------
    "Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!"
    Sincerely
    Richard Weth
    Sr. QA Engineer
    mailto:rick_weth@yahoo.com

[This message has been edited by rick_weth (edited 07-17-2001).]
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!
    Sincerely
    Richard Weth
    Sr. QA Engineer

K12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Appreciated....
    I have all the Segue manuals so I might start w the Users Reference & Guide and get a start on the test frames.
    Another thing if you could, the base state needs to be created before the test frames ?

Thanks in advance....

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

K12,

Also, spend time in the Library Browser under the help menu. I "lived" in that thing for the first couple of years I used SilkTest. It is an excellent tool!

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi K12,

If you have all the literature I suggest that you take a few hours and go through the SilkTest Web Tutorial. This is a selfpaced tutorial and an excellent starting point for all newcomers to SilkTest. The tutorial introduces all the basic SilkTest concepts.

I hope that this helps.

John.

------------------

John O'Neill.
    Quality Automation Ltd. www.quality-automation.com

[This message has been edited by John O'Neill (edited 07-17-2001).]
    John O'Neill.
    Quality Automation Ltd.
    www.quality-automation.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by K12:
    Appreciated....
    I have all the Segue manuals so I might start w the Users Reference & Guide and get a start on the test frames.
    Another thing if you could, the base state needs to be created before the test frames ?

Thanks in advance....

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

K12,
    The base state will be part of your test frame.

The test frame is where you teach SilkTest about your application. SilkTest is just a tool, remember? It has no idea of the differences between your application and, say, Notepad. You have to show it what your application is made up of; namely, what objects comprise your application, what executable to run, what page to load (if a web app), etc.

After you've defined that, you can then teach SilkTest the intricacies of your application such as how to get it back to the "base state" or starting point. This is where all of your tests will start from. Many applications' base states are just the executable or HTML to start from. Some applications require that you login, some that you delete a file, etc.

The tutorials/user's guides are a good place to start and how I taught myself QA Partner years ago. If your AUT is complex, you may want to start with something simple like Notepad.

Bon chance.

***- Dave

------------------
    ================================================== http://www.ameliortech.com
    dreed@ameliortech.com

[This message has been edited by dcreed (edited 07-17-2001).]
    WaltzingRhino.com
    A concerned Borland customer, a fly in the ointment, a wrench in the works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

K12

When i was new to Silktest

I use tutorials and sample. Then i went to User guide, took our product wrote Silktest scripts

------------------