SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to view results information of the fly

I have created a visual basic form with a grid i would like as i process my 20 test scripts that information such as scriptname,dates,times,pass/fail...to a file so i can have my vb form read it from that file can silktest do this on the fly .For say my first script is fininshed i can then see the info on this script as well as the next one is complete the grid gets updated

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: How to view results information of the fly

Fred,

We have our results output simultaneously go to HTML output. This way, a manager can hit an HTML page and view the results at any time.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a great idea - having a simple program that reads a log file during run time as it is being writen too in order to monitor status.

For writing the log file, check out the logClass zip file posted in this forum (seach on logClass). With that, you can write your output to one ore more log files. I use it instead of Print() statements.

Then your status monitor can simply view log file as they are being made.

------------------
    David Genrich
    david@linuxpuppy.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fred

I basically do what these guys are reffering to as well. It comes down to the fact that the results file silk writes can only be viewed after the test/s are finished (as far as I know).

So I rolled my own log class much like many people here. What is especially good about doing that is you can stress/specify important info for multiple audiences, instead of nitty gritty through another silk license.

I have even gone so far as to have the results web based in real time. But the building block is to "roll your own" logging.
    (BTW I am glad to see others doing this, I thought I was almost alone)

------------------
    "Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!"
    Sincerely
    Richard Weth
    Sr. QA Engineer
    mailto:rick_weth@yahoo.com

[This message has been edited by rick_weth (edited 07-17-2001).]
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!
    Sincerely
    Richard Weth
    Sr. QA Engineer