SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remote Agent and Files

Problem: Writing and reading a textfile on a remote agent. Apparently SilkTest writes these on the controller's harddrive. I tried to avoid this problem by calling a function from the kernel32.dll.
    Basically this solution works nice except for its speed.

So I would like to know if anyone knows a faster read&write solution. Thanks.

------------------
    Don't blame the QA testers!
    Convenience is the first step to enslave yourself. Freedom is inconvenient.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Remote Agent and Files

Klaus,

Wait... This sounds just wrong. You should be able to get a handle to a file on a remote machine and open that file for reading, writing, appending... just about anything.

Can you post a bit more specifically about how this is being done?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most of the specific file-orientated functions (e.g. FileOpen, FileWriteLine, FileReadLine, FileReadValue, etc.) do only work on the host machine. You can use SYS_GetFileContents to read from a file on the target machine, but I don't know of any way within silktest of writing to a file on the target machine. In order to get round this problem, I have always made my scripts use files on a fileserver - makes them more portable across machines for one thing.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately these standard functions mentioned by Vince really just work on the host machine.

SYS_GetFileContents does its job nicely though AND fast, but writing via the kernel32.dll is STILL slow. I could not fine a workaround for this, yet. Though reading is faster now I still hope there might be someone who knows a fast way to write into a via the remote agent.

The current situation does not allow me to collect the files on a common machine and I am not in the position to change anything about this.

------------------

[This message has been edited by KlausK (edited 07-12-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Klaus,

My appologies. I knew I had a test that was writing to a file from about two years ago, and it was doing it on a remote machine... Solaris even. However, what I didn't recall was that it was a test exercising file writing functionality within the AUT rather than Silk actually writing to the file.

Sorry...

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know this is not the most glamorous solution but I shared out the drive and then read/wrote to the drive from the host machine. I used this to modify batch files on the remote machine the I could use SYS_Execute to run the file.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the info here in this thread. I guess my workaround has to be it for now. Hehe, who knows? Maybe they will fix this in the next version.

------------------