SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to Automate Sending Test Results by E-mail?

Is there a function in SilkTest that allows sending the test results by e-mail?

------------------
    Olga
    Olga

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: How to Automate Sending Test Results by E-mail?

When I needed to send e-mail from Silk, I used Outlook.

I used the command line options for Outlook to invoke a new mail message, and they used Silk to manipulate the message interface.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not built in, no. What I have done in the base is used WSH, which can interface (through the backend) with an Exchange server (if Outlook is installed), or using ASPMail with WSH. I then wrote my results both to the result file and to a log file (see the LogClass in the download section).

Using WSH, I would invoke SilkTest to run the test. When it was done, WSH would take over again and send the log file to the QE group.

Worked great, but only if your in a place where others want to look at the results. Many people want a co-allated report of what passed and fail, without the noise of a log file.

------------------
    David Genrich
    Blackhog
    932 Hamlin Court
    Sunnyvale, CA 94089
    dgenrich@blackhog.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks a lot for quick response.

It is interesting idea about WSH (Widows Script Host). “WSH is IDEAL for non - interactive scripting needs.”
    Therefore, I went throughout the tutorial on the web, but could not find “ASPMail”.
    Also, I am not aware about “command line options for Outlook to invoke a new mail message”. How I can find the list of options?
    As I understood, they are as interfaces for direct manipulation of script execution.
    Before Writing to the SilkTest group, I found PerlScript,Send mail module,(http://velocity.activestate.com/code/categories), but did not know how to integrate.
    I have heard about a language independent scripting approach but never tried before.
    Could you, please, give me code example to start with this (using WSH) and sources to learn it?

Really appreciate your time

------------------
    Olga
    Olga

What I am doing, I ran Script and generate Result File.Then Extract to a file and save. Then attach with mail.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

userk53,
    Do you have automated script to attach file to send email?
    At the matter of fact, I do not have Outlook on my tower computer, where I am running test. There is firewall between it and PC, which I use to send email. So far, I sent results by ftp to the assigned IP address and other person put it on internal web. Now he quitted, and nothing is working. Everything is gone with him. This is consequence of absence of documentation and CM. I have to learn and do at the same time as ASAP.
    May be someone knows how to put on the web?

------------------
    Olga
    Olga

Olga,
    First try simple and easy things. Result file is a text file. can you send a e-mail to your hotmail or yahoo account and then dowload on PC which has Outlook.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is another thread on the same topic on this board that recommended using a utility called "blat" through the command line. Search for blat and you should find it.

I implemented automatic emailing of results using this simple utility by simply adding an object that handled all of the making sure that blat was installed and active as well as the command-line execution of the thing. It was relatively simple, and you should have no problem putting something similar together.

I would share my code for aforementioned, but it utilizes some other components that I have put together in my framework, so it would be kind of time consuming to disentangle.

------------------
    Craig Koozer
    QA Engineer
    NetLedger, Inc.
    Craig Koozer
    Lead Test Automation Engineer
    www.oraclesmallbusiness.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, and PS -- In my framework, I linked this email logging in to TestcaseExit, so that an email is sent at the end of each failed testcase. This is valuable because we are alerted immediately to specific problems before the entire script has finished, and can be easily sent to groups rather than individuals so that we are all aware of what the automated tests are doing as they are doing it. This has been very effective for us because we have a hyper development cycle. It might seem more like spamming in longer development cycles, I don't know.

------------------
    Craig Koozer
    QA Engineer
    NetLedger, Inc.
    Craig Koozer
    Lead Test Automation Engineer
    www.oraclesmallbusiness.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm using Postie, which can be executed by DOS common lines. It's very simple and friendly.

You can find all the options by typing Postie under MS-DOS mode.

Here is a sample commond line. Within {} is something I predefined in SilkTest scripts --
    STRING sCmdLine = "c:\postie\Postie -host:{sHost} -to:{sTo} -from:{sFrom} -s:""{sSubject}"" -msg:""{sMsg}"""
    SYS_Execute(sCmdLine)

Here is another sample commond line used to send out an email with an attachment --
    STRING sCmdLine = "c:\postie\Postie -host:{sHost} -to:{sTo} -from:{sFrom} -s:""{sSubject}"" -msg:""{sMsg}"" -a:{sAttachment}"
    SYS_Execute(sCmdLine)

------------------