SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A call to a more informative way to post.

Hi to all,

This forum is really a good source of helpful information regarding the tool/subject as well as some related ones. But also this has been a forum full of scrap things.

What I am talking about is those postings which doesn't really have any value in them in relation to the subject. I can see that some of us do posts their ideas like this is a chat room or an exchange of email msgs. I know everyone wants to help and needs to be helped, but God, can't we just do the troubleshooting/identifying problems privately first and then if you come up with the solution post it.

This way I think it will be more worthwhile for everybody to read the postings.

Thanks.
    kalabog73@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by kalabog (edited 07-31-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: A call to a more informative way to post.

I agree to an extent. I have a lot fo work to do and a personal life therefoer I have very little time to spend on this forum. I stopped trying to keep up with the posts on this forum because there is just way too much volume of chit-chat, useless "me too" responses, topics getting dragged off-course by a curiosity seeker, people who appear to reply to almost every single post whether there's value added or not, and etc.

I'm fine with people posting questions when they also demonstrate that they've given it a good shot on their own, determination of which will drastically vary depending on the level of expertise of the user.

I have MANY times taken troubleshooting offline with folks. Instead of posting here I e-mail them directly and we go back-and-forth as needed just between the 2 of us. Then once the problem is resolved I encourage them to post the solution for everyone to read.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the moderator should do their job of cleaning un-related posts.

Otherwise this forum is not that bad. I think knowing about the errors is equaly beneficial than knowing the answer.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I am the moderator, I would not just clean-up unrelated posts but also disallow posting of people who seems to be like an attention seeker and doesn't really know how to measure the value of what he/she is saying.

Besides, if somebody is making all this trash to be cleaned up by the moderator that means more work for the moderator. So why not give these trash-talkers a hard time just as a lesson for them to learn that this is not a popularity contest.

------------------

[This message has been edited by kalabog (edited 07-31-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm afraid I disagree; one of the things about I've always liked about this forum is that there isn't the same culture of regulars as there is in the average newsgroup - for example newbies don't get flamed just because somebody asked the same question six months ago and they should have searched for it first; generally people here seem to be quite polite and well-mannered. I say we try and keep it that way if possible?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the only good place to exchange info on SilkTest that is outside of Segue's control.

This makes QAForums a CRITICAL resource for all of us, especially since Segue's info is so biased and their documentation and support are so bad.

But I too have found the flood of newbies and chit-chat to be a distraction.
    I have also been disappointed that some of my serious questions have gone unanswered (lost in the flood ?)
    So I don't come here very often anymore
    And, as a result, I don't spend time to answer questions anymore either.

I think that having the moderators clean up the posts is not a viable solution. It is too much work and it is likely to create some friction.

One solution might be to advertise the QAForums search capability a little better.
    (especially on the remote news groups)
    This might stop newbies from posting before searching.
    ------------------
    Rob Kapteyn

[This message has been edited by RobKapteyn (edited 07-18-2001).]
    Rob Kapteyn, CSTE
    RobKapteyn@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing we are missing here is a faq; if we had a bumped thread (always the first thread in the forum) consisting of just one message which holds the faq, then that would be obvious to anybody logging on to the forum, and might help clear up some of the 'newbie-type' questions (e.g. "Where can I download an evaluation copy of silktest?").

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most of the ppl here are re-active(not even sometimes),and not pro-active, hence nothing gets done fast enough.

If you want something to be done you need to take action, not wait until someone else does it.

This forums is so small compared to other big daddy 28k+ msg forums and they have even more junks. You just have to live with the fact that ppl will post what they want. You can't actually censor a forum or you'll **** ppl off, sooner or later.

This is a old topic. Finding what you don't like and restrict others to do so is sometimes incorrect(that sounds like dictatorship).

I know everyone here wants the answer to the problem, but don't get ****ed if you can't find an answer. Also be pro-active about problems, don't post rants, get into the action.

vincebowdren: If you want a faq write one, no one can stop you. I can offer the little I know about web testing:P

Sarcasm: Just let you know BetaSoft is a business not the salvation army; don't ask too much. If the activists take action(not by posting rants) maybe something will be done. :O

Do a pool, see what the regulars think. Are you ppl up to the task or just a bunch of ranters, that's what we will all see(no pressure here

[This message has been edited by GodKnows (edited 07-19-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talk about rants .....

------------------
    Rob Kapteyn
    Rob Kapteyn, CSTE
    RobKapteyn@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thought - what about splitting this forum into two - one for generic SilkTest questions and one for advanced SilkTest questions/tips?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast