Mel
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Window not found when using Silkbean

Hi,

I have a test scripts that runs fine on NT, and I tried it out on Solaris. It starts fine, but at one point, a window that was previously opened and recognized is suddenly not found.

Let me explain in more details. I open a first JavaDialogBox. From that dialog, some information is required, so another JavaDialogBox(2) is opened on top of it. Once the info is obtained, I click Finish and go back to the initial JavaDialogBox, where the information was updated. But from there, this JavaDialogBox is not found by the silk agent. I've turned the debug on and silk is trying to get to the correct window (correct tag).

I've tried methods like SetActive(), Exists(), and everything turns false.

Thanks to some previous posting from Raul and John O'Neill, I've overwrote SetActive, which SilkBean doesn't support.

But still, the window is not found? This make my whole test suite fail. I cannot close the window, and when the next test starts, it complains that the window in not unique.

Suggestions? Idea?

Thanks.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Window not found when using Silkbean

What kind of error is raised in the results log? Is it Window Not Found, or is it some other kind of error?
    Is it possible for you to show us a portion of your results file, including the calls to the window in the first instance where it finds it and in the second instance where it fails to find it?

------------------

Mel
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here it is. I've attached the result file (text format). Look for the following statements in the file:

ManagePacketClassifiers.SetActive () tag="/[JavaDialogBox]LMS: Manage Packet Classifiers*"

You'll see that sometimes, the window is recognize and that at one point the Window is not Found.

Thanks,
    Mel

------------------

[This message has been edited by Mel (edited 06-28-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Mel (edited 06-28-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The first thing I would try is to stick a short Sleep() after the CreatePacketClassifier.Finish.Click() call. It looks like you're committing a database append, which may take a little longer than silk realises; in these situations I have found the need to force silktest to wait until the application is properly ready (though I don't know if the same thing is generally true of java apps, our aut not being java).
    If it is convenient, you might want to do this by defining a Finish() method for the CreatePacketClassifier window, which clicks the Finish button and then waits an appropriate amount of time.

Another thing to check is that the tag is correct - maybe the caption on the ManagePacketClassifiers window changes after you've successfully added a new entry? That's a long shot, you do seem to have anticipated this kind of caption change already with the use of the wildcard in the tag.

If you're still having problems, it might be worth taking a new window declaration at the point where silktest starts failing to spot the window. This might reveal some non-obvious change in it's properties, as far as silktest can see them.

------------------

Mel
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One important thing to keep in mind is that the script works great on NT. It's when executing it through the silkbean on Solaris that the problem occurs.

The sleep did not help. In regard to the possible change in the window title, yes, I took care of that with *, and again, it's working fine on NT.

As far as trying to see what the agent really sees on the Solaris machine, I don't know if there is any way of doing that.

Any other ideas??
    Thanks.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm. If you can't perform a window declaration through the silkbean, then that makes the problem slightly trickier, but not completely impossible. You can use a testcase to pull the same information out; make it drive the java app to the point where your window 'disappears', then you can use something like Desktop.GetChildren to see what it comes up with; assuming that it recognises that there is such a window there at all, then you can use GetContents and such methods to see what the silkbean can see of your 'missing' window at that point, so as to pinpoint what the differences are from your window declaration.

I admit I haven't any experience with using the silkbean myself, but hopefully this should give you some information to show you what is going wrong.

------------------

Mel
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, I found something interesting, that happens only when running my script on solaris, by putting a few Desktop.GetChildren all over my script.
    Thanks Vince

When I have both JavaDialogBox open one over the other, the list of window contains 3 open windows, i.e. the main console and the 2 dialog box. After I click Finish on the top dialog, only that dialog is closed, but both have been removed from the list of Desktop.GetChildren??

I don't have any control on this, do I??

Is anyone aware of existing problem with silkbean that could be related??

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It doesn't look particularly good does it?

One hope for a workaround is that the window does not permanently disappear from the silkbean's radar; your results file shows that when DefaultBaseState is closing down the windows it finds, it complains about "Window ... is not unique", because it's found it again (certainly by the time a second one has been opened).

Maybe if you try putting more Desktop.GetChildren calls around the code that will be executed as the testcase ends, you can find out when the silkbean starts seeing your 'missing' window. Then maybe you can put in a small hack in your actual script, so that you can get to the state where your window will be noticed again.

------------------

[This message has been edited by vincebowdren (edited 07-02-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would be curious to see the Segue response
    to this problem.

Please report it to them. I have found them to be pretty responsive. And it will help us all out.

------------------

Mel
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

I thought I could give you a status on this issue:

I've installed ST5.5 SP1 and I was hoping for success. Although, I was really disapointed. Now, the main window and the first JavaDialogBox are seen through the Silkbean. When the second JavaDialogBox opens (the 3rd level of window), that one is not found anymore. The first two windows are always seen correctly (using the GetChildren function), even if the 3rd one get dismissed.

I've reported that latest behavior with Segue, but still no positive answer on their side.

------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast