URL to this page: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/silktest

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: java application within windows application

What you can do is talk to your Dev and ask them if testing the Java app separately from the window app correct. If so you know what to do.

Did you try to create a new extention which contains the .exe file of your app? I am not sure how you do that but it might help.

Unless this Java program interact with your window app, I don't see why you should test them together.

If all fails you have to resort to non-silk automation Which can be a pain.

[This message has been edited by GodKnows (edited 06-27-2001).]

rg
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's something to try:

1. Find out if there is a file that contains the classpath used by your Java Application. Modify it to include the appropriate SilkTest_JavaX.jar file.

2. Launch your Java app from your Windows app. Check in Task Manager if you see the new process. If it is called Java.exe, you don't have to explicitly add it to the extensions. If it is not called Java.exe (or called the same as your Windows app), then you will need to add it to both your Options/Extensions and the Extensions Enabler and check the Java checkbox in both.

That should do the trick. Of course, if your app does not have a classpath that is read from a file, you will be in trouble. But then you could consider adding the SilkTest jar file contents to your application's Jar file....ugly but may be your only chance other than having development change your application(s).

In any case, good luck. I think you will need it :-)

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem is that when you invoke your Java app from within another Windows app you're doing the equivalent to running the Java app from the executable. But there's no API for a Java executable so no automated test tool can manipulate it. This is why people testing java apps have to run their app by running java.exe and providing their .jar file as the source code - basically like a development environment.

So the only way I can see for you to be able to test that Java app is if you can find a way to run it not from an executable but by using the java.exe and .jar file approach. Then of course you'll also have to do all of the other Java-related config stuff too, as if the whole app was java. Bummer!

PS: There was a similar problem posted many months ago. You might wantt o try to find it in case it contains a solution.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All of the above are the best choices. Just ask dev if there is a way to modify the classpath at runtime.
    What I did was have dev include EVERY jar file that was in a directory called 'ext' inside of the lib directory.
    Tony

------------------