User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Silk not realising an agent action has finished - W9x only

I am having a very annoying problem which is almost completely preventing me from running scripts on Win9x platforms.

Basically, a lot of the time when the silktest agent is performing an action on some window (most often when opening or closing a window), it manages it, but doesn't move on to the next line of the script. I can see the Runtime Status window on my host machine sitting there with the agent call printed up (e.g. ExternalInterfaceMainWindow.BuiltinClose() currently), and the timer is ticking up - exactly as if the window in question was taking a long time to close itself down. But it already has closed down, and the target machine is ready for whatever the agent is supposed to be doing next.

I can kickstart the script into movement again if I manually (using the keyboard or mouse on the target machine) switch to a different window and back again quickly, or somesuch action. I don't know why this works.

This is only occurring on W9x - I have tried W95 retail, W95 OSR2, W98 retail and W98 SE, and it is the same on all of them. It does not occur on NT4 or W2000; we don't test on WME so I haven't tried that one.

I used to think it was just another unusual feature of apps built in Visual Objects (a rare language whose apps come out mostly like MFC C++ for silk testing purposes, but with a few quirks here and there that we have had to work round), but this week I have been testing a VB app which interfaces with our main aut, and the behaviour is exactly the same for this VB app, so it looks like it's not a problem with the language in particular.

Anybody got any ideas? I don't know how it's possible to work round this one.

------------------

[This message has been edited by vincebowdren (edited 06-26-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Silk not realising an agent action has finished - W9x only

How do you close your application?

[This message has been edited by GodKnows (edited 06-26-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Call Appname.Close().
    I've tried defining the Close method to use the x button in the top right corner, I've tried using TypeKeys("alt-F4") (with the angle-brackets), I've tried using Exit from the File menu, all with the same result. Whatever way I get silktest to initiate the closing of the application, silktest doesn't notice that the application has finished closing.

------------------

[This message has been edited by vincebowdren (edited 06-26-2001).]

[This message has been edited by vincebowdren (edited 06-28-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try changing OPT_APPREADY_TIMEOUT to a number less than 180. As a default, SilkTest waits 3 minutes before reporting something as having timing out.

If that works, just trap the exception in a do except loop inside your close routine.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Bruce Cummins (edited 06-26-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We already have this agent option set to 0.01. I even tried turning off the option OPT_VERIFY_APPREADY, but this made no difference.
    To be honest, if the problem resulted in silktest timing out after 180 seconds or whatever, it wouldn't be so bad (because then I could use do...except); but it never times out at all; it really will sit there forever, waiting for the agent action to finish (which of course already has finished).

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doing a 'alt-f4' would it close your app???
    I mean you just want close your app, right?

Just use what your app has to close it.

Letting Silk close your app doesn't give you anyadvantage does it?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, closing the app is not the problem. Silktest does succeed in closing the app, it just doesn't notice it's succeeded.

And the advantage in letting silk close the app means that I can do automated testing. Without really basic stuff like that working, silk scripts are worthless without constant supervision and human intervention.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok this might help. Ther is a function that tell you in which order Silk has to close them when your script finishes.

GetCloseWindow()
    GetNextCloseWindow()

look for your app and close it. Then see what happens. or just do a TypeKeys("alt-f4")+the angle bracket just see if Silk still hangs there.

Don't follow at words what Silk is. Believe what you see, and make adjustments. Automations works better when the RESULT is flawless, anything else between the start and the end is not of anyone's concerns. You can always find better solutions when they come along.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem is not specific to DefaultBaseState - that is just one example of a place where this problem occurs; it occurs similarly if I simply call ExternalInterfaceMainWindow.Close() from within the testcase. So I can't see how GetCloseWindow() and GetNextCloseWindow() are really relevant.
    I have tried over-riding the Close() method for this window in the following ways:
    There is no improvement in behaviour whichever mechanism I use to close the window; silktest still doesn't notice that the window has closed, and will sit there waiting until I abort the testcase run.

------------------

[This message has been edited by vincebowdren (edited 06-28-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am just curious. Can you try to close your app, using the conventional way? Don't override any Silk's function. Just plain Desktop.TypeKeys("alt-f4").

Also GetNextCloseWindow() tells you which is the next window that Silk needs to close in order to return to base state, hence be able to terminate the script correctly.

The base-state thing is very fragile.

[This message has been edited by GodKnows (edited 06-28-2001).]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast