User Tag List

Thread: Silk Test

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Silk Test

My company is planning to start using Silk. The problem with our web based application is that the URL's do not change when I move from one page to another. How can I plan to start using silk. What are the first steps. We want to automate mainly Regression testing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Silk Test

It's hard to say how you will test your browser, but there are ways.

Your URL has parameters hidden. You can still test everything since I believe since SilkTest act on the current page you are displaying, it doesn't depend on the URL of a page, unless you request this information, it might always return the same URL.

You still have to try SilkTest before you buy it. Most likely it won't be a problem.

To answer your question "how to test". You will have to read my man. SilkTest is not there to tell you how to test. It's an automation tool. You have to figure out testing strategy yourself, before any test, with Silk or not.

The rule of thumbs:

I'll say couple minutes and you are ready to code like a mad man. It takes couple weeks and some headache before you can master SilkTest(web testing part . Just remember come here for plenty of help, and read Segue@Work newsletter for some advanced stuff.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Silk Test

Hopefully, your home page has a URL that you can return to and/or load at the beginning and end of each testcase. Or better yet, you set this up in the Base State or testcase entry/exit.
    I've got apps that have changing URL's due to security and it makes it difficult to code, but it can be done, you just have to do some fancy footwork. It helps a lot if all the panels have unique captions, something that I had to get the developers to fix. It also helps if they have HtmlLinks in all the panels that allow you to get back to the home page. I had to get the developers do add this as well, since they were using only very large images instead. You will need to work closely with your developers so that they can undestand that you have certain requirements for web panels in order to use the tool.

------------------

[This message has been edited by janek (edited 06-25-2001).]