SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Textfield not accepting input after Select from popuplist

My script involves selecting an item in a popup list and then setting a value in a field and then clicking a button to commit the transaction.

It fails at the point where the submit button is clicked. Because there was no value in the field. I later found out that SilkTest is not really performing the SetText or TypeKeys. It would seem to execute the code during debug but it really doesn't set the value in the text field. I don't see the agent setting it.

There was a Help Topic - TextField not allowing input, and tried the suggestions there and was not successful.
    I would get an *** Error: Internal error in agent - Read past end of buffer, when I used SendMessage.

And if I don't, if I just plainly use SetText, the weird thing is that it would set the text
    "st12345//dolphin.estrong.com:4430.012345//dolphin.estrong.com:4430/myStrong/html/login.htm/myStrong/html/login.htm" to the field instead of the data I specified in the script.

That string is the location of the webpage Im testing except for the first 7 characters. That 1st 5 characters in the string is also the last 7 characters of the password used to login to the site.

I am completely baffled why it does that.

My suspicion is that it has something to do with the popuplist select event. Because I notice that after the SilkTest agent has selected the item in the popuplist, it seems to continuously scroll. And would hang the SilkTest... it seem to go on an infinite loop where I could not even use the SHIFT+SHIFT to abort the script. I had to do a CTRL+ALT+DEL to get to the task manager (I have WinNT4 BTW) so I can switch to SilkTest and check the result file.

I'm using SilkTest 5.5 and IE VO.

Has anyone encountered this?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Textfield not accepting input after Select from popuplist

Sounds very similar to the Delphi AUT I'm testing. After checking with one of the developers, we found out that one of the properties for this problem textfield (with a drop-down arrow at the end) that kind of changes to a listbox when the down arrow is clicked) is set to Read-Only. Therefore, whether I type the fields value manually or automatically via SilkTest, the textfield won't accept the entry. The only value it accepts is from the List which is also a mess since you can ONLY select an item with a mouse click (using the keyboard does not work).
    If this sounds similar to your case, you may be able to talk to your developer to change that Read-only property setting.
    For work-around, here's what I did:
    - find the index of the target item using FindItem () then select the item using its index.
    (Note: you may have to set OPT_VERIFY_RESPONDING to FALSE in your do..except statement, if the selection does not work all the time.)

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't really have a problem with selecting the item from the drop-down list, it can do that.. the problem is that when I set the value to a text field, SilkTest does not Typekeys or SetText it. The value that I set the text field with does not comes from the drop-down list, it comes from a spreadsheet. And even when I just tried setting a constant value, hardcoded string, it still doesn't do it.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Does it work when you enter/type in the value manually? If so, switch to SilkTest. Slow down SilkTest by changing your Agent Options "Keyboard event delay" and/or "Mouse event delay" values to a higher number.
    Maybe you can show us the statements you have.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uhmm.. Switch to SilkTest from where ... I am using SilkTest already. The statements I have are plain scripts e.g. ExchangePg.AmountFld.SetText(ExchangeData.sAmt)
    I tried to use actual text as in ExchangePg.AmountFld.SetText("50")
    Also used TypeKeys instead of SetText... all to no avail.

[This message has been edited by sheyenne (edited 06-22-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Iincidentally... somebody responded to the distribution email that I try rearranging the steps in the script such that I will set the text in the field first then select the item in the drop-down list.... this partially worked. At least, the text get's written in the textfield.

However, I still have the problem with regards to the drop-down list where it seem to select the right index but in reality, when you look at SilkTest while it's running, it doesn't select the right one. I will start another topic regarding this.

Thanks for all your help.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yes that's what I said "Switch to SilkTest"..
    "from where?" ....where else.... from doing your step by step actions MANUALLY (meaning using your hands, fingers, keyboard, mouse, etc.) and once you see everything is working okay...then switch to SilkTest and follow exactly what you just did MANUALLY (step by step).

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

uhhh... i think i have done that already.... whenever I write test cases I make sure that they work manually before I automate it.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I have address this problem at:
    http://www.qaforums.com/Forum1/HTML/001719.html

Segue is aware of this problem and says this should be fixed on ST 5.5, but it seems it's not.

For additional info also SilkTest 5.0.3.2 has the ff: problems, and you might wanna try this on 5.5

1. 'SetText()' doesn't really imitate user experience.
    To verify this, try setting an HtmlTextField using SetText() with a string longer than the allowed width for that field. 5.0.3.2 will set it to contain the whole string which is not possible doing it manually.

2. Posed with the first problem, 'TypeKeys()' would be the best workaround it seems. But just as what sheyenne has said, you couldn't really rely on it especially if you are setting a popuplist before a textfield. What we found out is that you can override 'TypeKeys()' so as not to worry with the order of setting of fields. so you might wanna do it like this:

TypeKeys( string sStr)
    this.Click(1, 1, 1)
    derived::TypeKeys(sStr)

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I appreciate your response kalabog (and bosyo) ... i have contacted segue about this problem and they have not responded in about 3 weeks now, unsual because they have always been good at responding to issues eve when most of the time what they tell me is that they can't help with the issue because they don't support customized browsers etc. (no offense to them)

anyway, if they acknowledge it as a problem that is the first step.. in the meantime I've set a temporary workaround for the problem ... the solution doesn't really make any sense but it works for now.

------------------