SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: naming conventions

my naming conventions for identifiers is that I add a shortcut name as a suffix to the object. Like for instance I add the suffix Pg for web page, Fld for fields etc.
    So when I have a script of ExchangePg.SubmitBtn.Click()

I know that there is a Submit button in the Exchange page and that button is clicked.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

naming conventions

Hello

Any one has naming conventions in SilkTest- 4Test.

I badly need of that

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to prefix the name of the control with the following using a control that has the title ‘Account Code’ as an example

pbAccCde = PushButton
    tfAccCde = Textfield
    stAccCde = StaticText
    dbAccCde = DialogBox
    etc…

Therefore I know exactly what StaticText goes with what TextField etc. Also by using two letter prefixes, you can process the controls as strings if the need arises. I also abbreviate the control names. If anything was to go wrong with the script it’s easier to read what control the problem occurred on without having to scroll the page left and right.

This has saved me a lot of time creating declarations as well. I have my own method to declare windows which prefixes the controls and creates the declaration in the format that I require. Unfortunately this is very specific to our product but it can save a lot of time if the declaration for the window needs to conform to a certain standard.
    Mr Benn

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

Why not follow the Hungarian notation when naming variables (as recommended by Segue - see page xiii of the SilkTest User's Guide)? When naming object identifiers for windows I use the path of invocation. For example 'OptionsRuntimeY2KRules' in SilkTest corresponds to the dialog invoked when you select 'Y2K Rules' on the 'Runtime Options' dialog. The identifier for the 'Runtime Options' dialog (invoked by selecting the menu option 'Options / Runtime') is 'OptionsRuntime'.

John.

------------------

John O'Neill.
    Quality Automation Ltd.
    www.quality-automation.com
    John O'Neill.
    Quality Automation Ltd.
    www.quality-automation.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All of my naming conventions started as the ones I was trained to use by Segue - primarily Hungarian Notation. I have expanded on that for our own purposes. For example, I use a "f" prefix for all functions that we write so we can easily know if it's one of ours or a built-in one. I currently use "x" for data types that we define, such as records and enums but am re-thinking that a bit for the future.

------------------