SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SilkTest or WinRunner------Any Suggestion, please?

I am in the process of analysing a test automation tool. I am a QA running most test manually. But in the near future, app will be a bit stable and I am planning to automat the funcitonal test process. The app will be in java and we are also planning to use websphere. I know a bit about WinRunner but know less about SilkTest. I am also concerend about the leaning curve of these tools since I may have short time to learn the tool. Can anyone tell me what the pros/cons or the strentgh/weakeness of these two tools. I want to know if anyone of you used these two tools and can help.

Thanks a bunch!

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: SilkTest or WinRunner------Any Suggestion, please?

You can get an eval copy of both product.
    For silk you have to convince them real hard that you might buy their product.

I will talk about silk only
    Silk comes with 2 cost. One for the Agent and one for the SilkTest(which includes the Agent), 2500, and 6500 respectively(I believe) for each copy in use. Silk uses a program called SilkMeter to monitor how many silktest/agent you are using against the license you bought, if it doesn't looks good, SilkMeter will not allow you to use them.

Advantage: Very flexible.
    it supports:
    - dll import
    - c-like language
    - basic classes construction
    - browser testing on IE/NS
    - non-browser testing

Alot of external language support(java, c).

Disadvantage:

Too flexible so I guess none of area of coverage are developed in depth. When you support too many things you end up making everyone a little happy not always very happy.

Very poor documention. You have to dig in their web site's newletters, and here for info. Very little resource on the web on silk. Company doesn't provide source code packs, don't expect anything from them Everything(almost) are done through course they offer or volunteers.

[This message has been edited by GodKnows (edited 06-18-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Godknows,

Thank you for your info and help on SilkTest. I really appreciate yo taking time to respond this quick.

aeulert

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

obviousely we all use it or we wouldn't be here.

I have been around silktest using it on and off for 5 years. I have seen Rational and Mercury's products.

Silk is by far the most managable of the 3. The use of testplans (in Silktest)and the ability to call testcases to run in a consecutive fashion WITHOUT the need to modify the scripts is one of the biggest advantages. It a huge time saver and that why we spend money on htese tools to begin with. John Green also has a paper that compares Silktest with Mercury's product on the qadownload section of this site (take a look at it).

Empirix (formally RSA/Teradyne) and Radview also have tools that I have heard good things about.

They are all pricy.

------------------
    Steven E. Price
    Senior Quality Assurance Engineer
    Virtual Access Networks
    (978) 722 - 7122
    Steven E. Price
    Senior Quality Assurance Engineer
    Virtual Access Networks
    (978) 722 - 7122

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steve,

Thanks a bunch!
    aeulert

------------------