SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unable to recognise controls located within a Tab.

When Performing ‘Window Identifiers’ on a form that contains a tab with ordinary controls underneath, i.e. TextFields, StaticText etc. SilkTest has no problems recognising the controls.

If I were to record a testcase clicking and entering data into these controls, SilkTest does not have a problem.

But when I play back the script that I’ve just created, SilkTest cannot see any of the controls under the Tab BUT it can see the Tab control itself and all other controls that are not located with the tab.

Another twist to the story is this only appears on two GUI forms out of over 200 forms I have access to.

Has anyone else encountered this problem, or knows of a work around.

(Apologies if this has been raised before)

Thanks in advance.
    Paula.
    Mr Benn

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Unable to recognise controls located within a Tab.

Paula,

Have you tried slowing down SilkTest a little bit? You can go to Options/Agent and in the Timing tab, try changing the Keyboard and Mouse event delay to something like 0.08.
    Also, try recording the Actions and compare the recorded statements with those from the testcase recording that you did and also verify that all the objects shown in the recordings match those in your windows declarations.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your reply.

I also thought timing could be an issue, so fiddled around in that area, in some cases adding sleeps so I could manually click the control hopping it will then find it… But no such luck. I’ve also performed a GetFocus () on the main window, it returns the control correctly, an Exists test is performed on the control that it has returned and this returns FALSE.

I’ve tried recording a testcase with the existing declaration commented out so that SilkTest has no knowledge of the form, again it records but will not see any control within the tab page when I play it back. All controls outside the tab work perfectly.

I’m just at a complete loss as to why certain function calls can see the controls and others cannot find it.

------------------
    Paula Hamilton-Bodin
    email:- paula_hamilton-bodin@systemsunion.com
    Mr Benn

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Perhaps, maybe you can tell us what apps you are testing (VB, PowerBuilder, Delphi, etc.).
    And maybe you can provide a sample of your declaration and/or test script that fail.
    In the Delphi app I'm testing where Tabs are displayed all over, the objects within each Tab are recognized by SilkTest as part of the main form or dialog. So I cannot have something like:
    MyDialog.Tab1.TextField1.TypeKeys ("test")
    Instead, my code will look like:
    MyDialog.TextField1.TypeKeys ("test")
    eventhough I know that TextField1 is in Tab1.

Again, try doing a Record/Actions and watch what the recorder gives you. Click on the Tab, then click on an object (a textfield) in the Tab and type in some text. What do you see? Are the statements being recorded showing the objects following the Tab identifier?

C'mon now, I know you can make it work!

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

have you tried recording each of the tabs as a separate window? I seem to remember a problem I had such as this (back in 4.x) with a client/server app and that was the solution that worked for us.

------------------