SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Configuration Control of Test Scripts Using VSS

Our company started using Visual Source Safe. This tool is also new for me.
    So now we are trying develop Automation section tree structure that consist of two Parts:
    1. Automation Test Development (ATD) – Developers’ responsibility
    1.1. Library
    1.1.1. Dlls
    1.1.2. Functions
    1.1.3. Functional Scripts
    1.1.4. Templates
    1.2. Project name
    1.2.1. Test Case development Structure
    1.2.1.1. Data
    1.2.1.2. Private
    1.2.1.2.1. Scripts
    1.2.1.2.2. Plans
    1.2.1.2.3. Includes
    1.2.1.2.3.1. Use files – file that include few other use files
    1.2.1.2.4. Object files -- .obj files
    1.2.1.2.5. Source code
    1.2.1.2.5.1. Window declaration Files.inc
    1.2.1.2.5.2. Function definition Files.inc
    1.2.1.3. Public
    1.2.1.3.1. Script
    1.2.1.3.2. Object files

2. Test Execution – for testers who use developed Automated scripts for testing. The Batch file is written to pull latest version of shared files ŕ CM manager’s idea
    2.1. Project name
    2.1.1. Test Data
    2.1.2. Log File
    2.1.3. Environment (necessary application should be open)
    2.1.4. Script and Object file to lunch script
    2.1.5. Object file
    2.1.6. Reports

Is any one can give me other idea about this VSS Automation structure. Any inputs would be very appreciated.

------------------
    Olga
    Olga

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Configuration Control of Test Scripts Using VSS

Looks valid to me at cursory glance without knowing more about what you want it to do other than store your files.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my suggestion would be to simplify it:

1. Automation Test Development (ATD)
    1.1. Library
    1.1.1. Dlls
    1.1.2. Reusable Functions that work across projects/apps

1.1.4. Templates
    1.1.5. Test Case Structure/standards
    1.2. Project name

1.2.1.1. Data
    1.2.1.2.1. Scripts
    1.2.1.2.2. Plans
    1.2.1.2.3. inc Files specific to project

1.2.1.2.5.1. Window declaration Files (frame)

1.2.1.2.6. Reports/results files

You don't need to save the scripts in multiple places. You can use labels to differentiate the release/revision level of the app/project to coincide with the version of the scripts/plans that are used for testing that particular release. Your testers can then extract according to the labels.
    You don't need to save the objects, those are created when you run the testcase.

Keep results with the project and within the level/label that it corresponds to.
    With VSS you automatically know who checked in/out, so the developers make scripts, etc and the testers just checkin the results.

If you make it too complicated, people won't use it. Also making it too complicated will require that you have a person assigned to VSS full time - and that is not a good idea.

------------------

[This message has been edited by janek (edited 06-15-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Icruiser and Janek, I really appreciate your responses.

Janek,
    What do you mean in “Test Case Structure/standards”?
    Could you, please, give me an example?

Below is what I meant about object files separation:
    1. The purpose of separating Object file is to keep include files as private and object files as public.
    2. Why? Object file would be given with the script to the user or the tester to execute/run the test case. Nobody is allowed to do change private scripts, except developer. Other words it “Available only when a script or include file is view-only” (SilkTest Help)
    3. Tester can only run it, but do not do any changes. He/she doesn’t have write access to them, and the file is in compiled form. The instructions for the tester will be very easy; only public folder they would check out to their working directory.
    Am I right, or I missed something?

One more thing confuses me:
    Some of our VSS people decided to write batch file that pull all related files for particular test to tester’s working directory and then run. As I figured that out, the goal was to do not have VSS on tester’s Desktops. Also do not train them on this tool.
    I don’t think that we can gain something with this. And I absolutely agreed with you that “have a person assigned to VSS full time … is not a good idea”.

------------------
    Olga
    Olga

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oops, my mistake, yes, if you have testcases that include object only (.ino) files, then you would have an object folder in VSS...
    But I don't see any difference between the private and the public in the way you have described.
    Also, if you have the include file folder in VSS, and your include files are compiled, why not have the source and object both in the include folder? You say that the testers will have batch files that extract what they need anyway and they won't have access to VSS.

By testcase structure/standards, I mean that your team should have standards defined on how testcases/plans/etc are structured and you should include those in VSS. So, as they evolve, your changes are documented and you also have 1 place where everyone can access the information.

you say "only public folder they would check out to their working directory.", but you also say "the goal was to do not have VSS on tester’s Desktops. Also do not train them on this tool. " . that sounds like a contradiction.

The best thing would be to try a sample on VSS and play around with it to see how the setup you decide on works. You may find a better approach after doing some checkin/checkout and builds on a small sampling before setting it in stone.
    good luck

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for you information,help and quick response.

------------------
    Olga
    Olga