SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will Silk detect dynamically enabled objects?

I Just noticed that my Include file recognizes a Textbox on a screen and has a declaration for it. However the developer also has a combobox on that screen at the same coordinates. Only one will be enabled/visible at a time depending on what the user is doing.

The problem seems to be that Silk test only recognizes a single object at a time based on what the user is doing.

Can I simply include the additional declaration for the disabled object?

------------------
    Steven E. Price
    Senior Quality Assurance Engineer
    Virtual Access Networks
    (978) 722 - 7122
    Steven E. Price
    Virtual Access Networks
    (978) 722 - 7122

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Will Silk detect dynamically enabled objects?

Yes.

You can also dynamically reference the objects.

MyPage.HtmlPopupList ("$state").Select (8)

------------------
    John W Green
    jwgreen@automationexpertise.com
    http://www.automationexpertise.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sounds like you need to read up a little on SilkTest Online Help or User's Guide and re-record your Windows Declarations.
    In SilkTest, it does not matter whether the objects are enabled or disabled during the recording of window declarations.
    Why don't you explain in details how you recorded your Window Declarations so we may be able to assist you further.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steven Price: Yes you can. Our aut is like this all over the place; there are thousands of controls which are hidden or shown according to various conditions, for example the state of another control on the same window, or the state of a particular field in the data being represented.
    Silktest doesn't see the hidden controls, so we often have to record multiple window declarations and merge them together so we have declarations for all the controls that can appear (at different times) on the one window.
    It also seems to be safe to do things like declaring two different controls with exactly the same tag (e.g. two PopupLists, both with tag "#1"); as long as you know that the right one will be present when your script calls a method on it, then everything works fine.
    As you may expect, we long ago gave up trying to use scripts to verify that the right controls are present on each window; that would have required an incredibly large number of different window declarations to deal with all the different permutations of controls that a single window can have.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have done the same thing that vincebowdren describes. Our AUT also has many controls that are only visible under certain circustances. We had to record multiple window declarations to cover all of the combinations and then merge them by hand into one declaration. In these cases, the control tags were relatively constant.

We had another case in our AUT where the controls are dynamically generated based on some other data the user inputs earlier in the test. In this case the tags were variable, and it did not make sense to create a window declaration. Here we directly referenced a control with its tag. For example.

MyDialogBox.TextField("My Custom Field").GetText()

------------------
    Matt Gray
    Kofax Image Products
    Matt Gray

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Read this thread and help me out
    http://www.qaforums.com/Forum1/HTML/002068.html

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you all. I now have 2 very reasonable methods to try. I was wondering what the syntax was for the "Dynamic Instantiation" (as Segue calls it) for an object.

Recording without window Declarations (pg 138)
    Class(tag).Class(tag). ...
    ex:
    MainWin("Text Editor|$D:\MYPROGS\TEXTEDIT2.EXE").DialogBox("Find ")

However since the app is a small one at this stage in developement I think I'm going to try declaring the other objects in the .inc file.

GodKnows, I'm sorry but I don't have anything additional to offer. I thought the the doubleselect method would help but it doesn't seem apply to your popuplist and at any rate it would probably invoke the JS error that you were seeing.

Thanks Everyone

------------------
    Steven E. Price
    Virtual Access Networks
    (978) 722 - 7122

[This message has been edited by Steven Price (edited 06-14-2001).]
    Steven E. Price
    Virtual Access Networks
    (978) 722 - 7122