SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

For Non-Web AUTs, is it worth upgrading now to SilkTest 5.5?

Any good reason(s) to upgrade now to SilkTest 5.5 from 5.0.3.2 if testing a non-web application (Delphi apps in particular) or should I wait for the next version?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: For Non-Web AUTs, is it worth upgrading now to SilkTest 5.5?

Gilbert,

There are a few new features, writing results to a db, etc.. You can download the readme file and examine all of the changes.

The license issue is also something to be considered. There is not currently a good solution for checking out a license to a laptop for the weekend. The next version will fix some of those issues (I hope)

------------------
    John W Green
    jwgreen@automationexpertise.com
    http://www.automationexpertise.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The vast majority of changes in 5.5 are in regard to browser-based apps. And there's all of those issues regarding the new approach to licensing. I currently have 2 client apps with a tiny bit of browser-based UI to deal with and am thus in no hurry to upgrade to 5.5; I'm fine with version 5.0.3.2.

However, in a week or two we'll be starting the task of rebuilding our entire UI to live inside a browser so I'm hoping Segue comes out with a patch or minor release to resolve the licensing issues and nasty bugs soon.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thank you Polly!
    I think I'll do the same and just wait for the next release since it looks like there's nothing to gain or there's nothing said about 5.5 making 'Delphi app testing' easier.
    We probably have at least 6 months to go before seeing a Web version of our application anyway...

------------------