SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MDI App and the Default RecoverySystem, Bastate function not working

I am working on a VB6 MDI application. It has no splash screen or true initial state.

The application always starts with a know child window populating screen main window MDI screen (hope I stated that correctly).

Problem: When I attempt to record a testcase and Silktest executes the Basestate function (part of the default recovery system), The application is steps past the expected child window to a different window. It then goes back to the expected child window and begins to walk through the items in a list box.

It finally stops in a state where I could continue driving the testcase but I have no way to know if the recovery system is working correctly.

This happens using a freshly generated frame file with NO invoke() routines.

(Note: I had at one point attempted to use GO. I had recorded invoke and close routines for all of my screens. I'm not using this frame file or anything else releated to GO. Could there be some garbage reminance that Silk uses from that earlier session)

------------------
    Steven E. Price
    Senior Quality Assurance Engineer
    Virtual Access Networks
    (978) 722 - 7122
    Steven E. Price
    Virtual Access Networks
    (978) 722 - 7122

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: MDI App and the Default RecoverySystem, Bastate function not working

1)Are you using a user defined extention for your test, because you are using a non-web app? To improve recognition creation a new extention with your app's .exe.(Don't ask how, I haven't got that to work the way I want)

2)One cause of your problem sounds like silk is trying to gather information about the test environment. I am thinking about this because it scans a browser when you do use Windows Declaration on a browser.

3)As long as your true base state is intact, you just have to live with such software flaw.

4)If you haven't done that already. Override all basestate functions to fully take over the recovery system. From their you can actually blame yourself if any bugs appear.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To suplement GodKnows:
    To add an extension to SilkTest
    1. Open Extension Enabler (Under the SilkTest menu from the Start button)
    2. Click the New button
    3. Click the Browse button and find the .exe for your application.
    4. Click the OK button
    5. Enable the new extension
    6. Close the Extension Enabler
    7. Open SilkTest
    8. Click on Options\Extensions
    9. Enable the new extension

You should now be able to better see your application. You may want to create an option file for this particular test so if you create unique objects or relationships you can save them.

I do not use the basestate and instead set my script's recovery system up myself. That way I know what will happen every time there is an error, and also so I can control what happens based on the error.

Hope this helps,
    Mike

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for the responses thus far. Please allow me to clarify. Extensions are set up correctly. Otherwise I would have had an include file full of custom objects.

This is really a bizzare little problem where the basestate seems to be looking for something other than the initial screen.

wStartup is currently defined in the .inc file, to be the parent window. Should I define it to be the child window that normally comes up by defualt when the app is started?

------------------
    Steven E. Price
    Virtual Access Networks
    (978) 722 - 7122
    Steven E. Price
    Virtual Access Networks
    (978) 722 - 7122

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, wStartUp should be any login window for your application (or left undefined if there is no login window), and any child windows that appear there by default should be listed in lwLeaveOpen.
    But I admit I'm very confused as to what the recovery system is doing looking in a ListBox. You might want to look through "Understanding the Recovery System" in the manual to see if you can work out what it's trying to do there.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This could be another case where the debugger can show you exactly what's happening.

------------------
    John W Green
    jwgreen@automationexpertise.com
    http://www.automationexpertise.com