User Tag List

KS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Browser Recovery System

My main browser pops up child window (these window are actually browsers but without toolbar button, URL address textfield etc. I am not sure what do we call them). If my testcase fails recovery system closes the main browser and tries to type in the url into this open child browser which doesn't have address textfield. Only reason it does that because the windows has title "Microsoft Internet Explorer" which is similar to main browser title. How can I stop recovery system from getting confused without overiding anything in recovery system.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Browser Recovery System

[This message has been edited by SteveC (edited 06-08-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Browser is the current browser. The "other" (background) browser is Browser2. When you make Browser2 active, it changes to Browser.

I've been dealing with closing child windows a lot lately. There are several possible solutions.

1) Close the child window EVERY time within the testcase with TypeKeys ("<Alt-F4>")

2) Close the child window with Browser.Close ()

3) Write a function which does Desktop.Getchildren (). Then cycle through each window and check if it has a Location and Buttons, etc. Close the ones that are not the right one.

4) Get the hWnd of the original window and store in a variable. Write a function which does Desktop.Getchildren (). Then cycle through each window and check if it is a Browser and if it's hWnd does't match the original windows's hWnd, Close it.

Hope this helps.

Email me for more details or assitance.

------------------
    John W Green
    jwgreen@automationexpertise.com
    http://www.automationexpertise.com

KS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me explain the exact situation. My main browser calls this child browser(which doesn't contain any buttons or menu items etc.) while dealing with child browser, let say, my testcase fails. So recovery system kicks in before I can call Browser.Close() or any other closing method,it closes the main browser and think of child as real browser window and give the follwing error message

Explorer.View.Toolbars.AddressBar.Pick ()
    [ ] *** Error: Window '[PushButton]View' was not found

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Learn this from yesterday's post.

Use GetCloseWindows() to know the list of windows that if closed will return you to the basestate(whatever state before your testcase started).

1)first try to debug to see if your popup window is in that list.

2)second you can use the above function to return a list of window hence you can loop through the list and do a check for your popup window.
    This approach is reasonable, since I don't expect your test to have 100 windows open. So it will be quiet fast(relative to silk's speed .

[This message has been edited by GodKnows (edited 06-08-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check out, "Using do...except to handle an exception" in SilkTest's help index.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In your frame, add

Using the ideas GK and others have posted, write the CloseChildWindows () function to parse the open windows and close the ones you need closed.

TestCaseExit () automatically overrides DefaultTestCaseExit () which is called when a testcase finishes executing. SilkTest passes the bExcept argument which is set to true if an error has occured. ExceptNum () will give you the exact error which has occurred.

Hope this helps.

------------------
    John W Green
    jwgreen@automationexpertise.com
    http://www.automationexpertise.com